CCPO isolates 10 cops positive of Covid-19

TEN police officers assigned in Cebu City tested positive of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) after they were swabbed last week.

These officers were part of the 25 personnel of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) who underwent reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test last week, said CCPO officer in charge P/Col. Cydric Earl Tamayo.

Before they were swabbed, the 25 police officers had undergone rapid testing. They were subjected to RT-PCR test after their blood samples showed antibodies—protective protein produced by the immune system in response to the presence of a foreign substance.

The 10 Covid-19 positive police officers were brought to an isolation center, and all of them showed no signs of the viral disease.

Tamayo said the other 15 police officers were also placed inside the isolation center as they were considered as persons under monitoring. The incubation period of the virus that causes Covid-19 is 14 days.

“We are very strict with regards to our health protocol. If someone turns out positive, we conduct contact tracing, locate the officer’s contacts and the office is locked down,” Tamayo said in a mix of Cebuano and English.

The second floor of the CCPO’s main building was locked down after the 25 police officers tested positive of antibodies last week. Tamayo said there were other 14 police officers who were isolated as they were direct contacts of the 25 police officers, and these 14 officers have yet to undergo rapid and swab tests. The CCPO has yet to receive a guidance from the Department of Health.

Recoveries

The Cebu City Health Department (CHD) reported on Tuesday, June 23, that 31 more patients recovered from Covid-19.

All recoveries were from Barangay Labangon, which is one of the barangays in the city with high number of Covid-19 cases.

However, on the same day the CHD also recorded 30 Covid-19 infections.

These cases come from Mabolo (one), Mambaling (two), Pahina Central (one), Pardo (one), Pasil (two), Punta Princesa (two), Quiot (four), Sambag 1 (seven), Sambag 2 (five), Suba (one), Tejero (one), Tinago (one) and Tisa (two).

The CHD also reported seven deaths. But three of the persons succumbed to Covid-19 last May.

The mortalities came from Basak San Nicolas (one), Duljo (one), Labangon (one), Mambaling (one), Tejero (one) and Tisa (two).

As of June 23, Cebu City had 4,479 total confirmed cases with 2,213 active cases, 2,177 recoveries and 89 deaths.

In Cebu Province, Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia announced that as of June 23, the province had 503 active Covid-19 cases.

Based on the data released by the Capitol, 68 cases were new in the active cases.

Garcia said 110 patients were symptomatic, 267 were asymptomatic and 126 were brought to hospitals.

The governor reported a total of 730 Covid-19 cases in Cebu Province from March 1 to June 23. (BBT, PAC & ANV)