CCPO officer-in-charge to remain in his post

THE officer-in-charge (OIC) of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) will remain in his post after Mayor Edgardo Labella endorsed another official.

P/Col. Giovanie Maines said his office is waiting for the outcome of the National Bureau of Investigation’s (NBI) inquiry on the ambush-slay of Clarin, Misamis Occidental Mayor David Navarro. The police official is the current deputy director for operations at the the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7.

Maines said P/Col. Gemma Vinluan can return as the CCPO director if the result of the investigation conducted by the NBI in Central Visayas clears her name.

Vinluan was relieved from her post after Navarro’s murder on Oct. 25, 2019. It occurred while the mayor was in the Abellana Police Station’s custody. Before the ambush happened, Abellana police officers had been transporting Navarro to the prosecutor’s office for the filing of charges against him for hurting a masseur.

Maines was named as OIC after Vinluan was transferred to the personnel division of the PRO 7 headquarters in Cebu City.

Labella recommended to PRO 7 Director Valeriano de Leon to name P/Col. Arnel Banzon, the current PRO 7 operations division head, as the next CCPO OIC.

The PRO 7 director has the final say on the matter. For his part, Maines said he is ready to vacate his temporary post at the CCPO.

De Leon said that before he received the recommendation letter from Labella he had a talk with the mayor about it when they met in a Malacañang event.

He said his office has to follow protocol when the need to name a new director arises. However, the police official did not elaborate about their protocol.

De Leon said he cares about Vinluan’s career and the latter should not be affected by the events.

He said that he had already talked with Vinluan. De Leon said Vinluan could be appointed back to her post or rise to a higher position regardless of the investigation’s results. (AYB, RKT)