TWO barangay captains in Cebu City could face charges for reportedly allowing religious processions in their areas during fiesta two weeks ago.
The identities of the village officials were not divulged by Lt. Col. Wilbert Parilla, deputy director for operation of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO).
Parilla said on Tuesday, June 1, 2021, that the field commanders of 11 police stations were instructed to coordinate with barangay captains in their jurisdictions and remind the village chiefs to disallow mass gathering.
The CCPO will not allow religious processions, said Parilla.
Last week, President Rodrigo Duterte verbally ordered the police to arrest barangay captains who allow mass gathering events.
With the absence of Camp Crame’s written guidelines on Duterte’s order, Parilla said the CCPO will not arrest the barangay captain who allows any mass gathering event, but he will face a complaint for dereliction of duty.
The police official said barangay captains should disperse any mass gathering event in their villages.
Parilla said the Cebu City Emergency Operations Center prohibits religious processions with drum and bugle corps in tow as this is a super-spreader of the coronavirus that causes Covid-19. (AYB / KAL)