Cebu City garbage fees to cost P43.2M

CEBU CITY -- Cebu City Hall will have to shell out P43.2 million yearly as tipping fee to other dumpsites if it pursues the total closure of the Inayawan Sanitary Landfill in October.

The Solid Waste Management Board (SWMRB) said the City will have to pay P120,000 per day or at least P3.6 million a month so that the city's garbage will be diverted.

At present, the City is studying whether to divert the city's garbage to the landfill of Consolacion town once the Inayawan landfill is closed. The City is still negotiating, though, with the northern town’s officials about the plan.

Department of Public Services (DPS) Chief Engr. Dionisio Gualiza, in an earlier interview, said he would prefer that the City pay for the tipping fee, instead of continuing to operate the landfill.

Aside from the environmental hazards, Gualiza said the city spends millions buying equipment just to extend the lifespan of the facility.

Assistant DPS chief and landfill manager Engr. Randy Navarro said the city has appropriated at least P22 million this year for the landfill.

Of the amount, at least P12 million has been set aside for deodorizers to manage the stench of the facility. At least P9 million, on the other hand, will be used for the purchase of limestone that serves as the landfill's soil cover, while P500,000 will pay for repairs of the landfill's equipment.

The P22-million appropriation is on top of the P5 million that has been set aside by the city for renting equipment, such as bulldozer to prevent the 10-meter-high heap of garbage at the landfill from overflowing toward nearby settlements.

Another P5 million budget has been set aside for the rental of heavy equipment, such as bioreactors to process the segregated waste dumped in the facility since the implementation of the City’s "no segregation, no collection" policy began last April.

Last year, the city spent at least P100 million for the landfill. That included its maintenance, repair of heavy equipment and the purchase of limestone to stop the landfill from burning.

With the impending closure of the landfill in October, the SWMB recommended to Mayor Michael Rama to make fully operational eight materials recovery facilities (MRF) sites in the city, aside from appropriating P120,000 per day for the tipping fee.

The MRF's that will be made fully operational are those in barangays Ermita, Talamban, Luz, Mabolo, Apas, Kalunasan, Quiot, and Mambaling.

Aside from that, the SWMB wants scavengers to recycle 58 tons per day of recyclable waste, establish a transfer station and manage plastic wastes through a private partnership, among others.

The SWMB said a closure plan for the landfill will be completed by December 31, 2011. (Sun.Star Cebu)

Related story: 'Landfill can’t be closed'

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options