Cebu City halts 42 infra projects

CEBU CITY -- The City Government has put on hold the Department of Public Works and Highways' (DPWH) implementation of 42 infrastructure projects worth P127 million in the city.

This, after the City’s Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW) found that some City Government-funded projects are similar to what the DPWH plans to do.

In a meeting last week, City Administrator Atty. Jose Marie Poblete and DEPW chief Engr. Kenneth Enriquez told DPWH District Engineer Nicomedes Leonor Jr. not to push through yet with the implementation of their projects, until DEPW reviews the list.

The DPWH projects are not covered by the infrastructure ban imposed by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) in line with the May 13 polls, as these were awarded to the contractors before March 29.

Comelec, in a resolution, said no public official or employee, including barangay officials and government-owned or controlled corporations and their subsidiaries, can release, disburse or expend any public funds for all kinds of public works from March 29 until May 13. 

Same effort

But the poll body exempts works undertaken by contract if the public bidding was held or the negotiated contract was awarded before March 29, when the ban began.

In an interview with Sun.Star Cebu, Engr. Enriquez said the City will be constructing flood control structures worth P1.65 million in Barangay Kinasang-an. The City has awarded the project to Win Construction.

However, Enriquez learned that the same project was included in the list of projects that DPWH wants implemented in the city. The project was awarded by DPWH to Charlz Construction.

To prevent other duplications, Enriquez said they want to review all DPWH projects before these get implemented.

These include 13 road concreting projects (P36.3 million), 10 flood control projects (P17.1 million), construction of two foot bridges (P3.58 million), construction and repair of 10 multi-purpose buildings (17.89 million), and construction of six farm-to-market roads (P52.17 million).

The road concreting will be implemented in Barangays Busay, Budlaan, Banilad, Adlaon, Guba, Pulangbato, San Jose, Mabini, Apas, Guadalupe, Lorega, Tisa, Poblacion Pardo, Bulacao, Cogon Pardo and Sawang Calero.

Flood control

The flood control projects will be constructed in Barangays Capitol Site, Kalubihan, Pahina Central, Sambag II, Parian, T.Padilla, Day-as, Talamban, Luz, Bacayan, San Antonio, Kamagayan, Sambag I, Tisa, Busay, Kalunasan, Kinasang-an, Lorega, Kalunasan and Punta Princesa.

The foot bridges will be constructed in Barangays Sapangdaku and Pulangbato.

As for the construction and repair of multi-purpose buildings, these will be implemented in Barangays Mambaling, Bonbon, Kasambagan, Sta. Cruz, Carreta, Lorega, Malubog, Tinago, Ermita, Tejero, Sto Niño, Taptap, Cogon Ramos, Kasambagan, Hipodromo, Labangon, Guadalupe, Inayawan, Calamba and Tisa.

The farm-to-market roads, on the other hand, will be implemented in barangays Budlaan, Tabunan, Paril, Babag, Sudlon II and Taptap.

Particularly for the road concreting projects, Enriquez said there might be duplication of the City’s projects.

“Their project descriptions are too general. They only state the barangay where it will be implemented, unlike the other projects, which specify where exactly these will be implemented,” she told Sun.Star Cebu.

Enriquez said they have already asked DPWH to submit a sketch plan for their projects within this week.

Extension

In a separate interview, Poblete told Sun.Star Cebu that they have asked DPWH to complement their project, in case of duplications.

“Ato silang gi-hangyo nga sumpayan lang atong projects particularly on road concreting (We have requested them to extend our projects, particularly road concreting),” he said.

Poblete said he was told by Leonor that their agency can do so, adding that it is easy for them to realign the projects since these are funded by the Priority Development Assistance Fund (Pdaf) of the representatives of the city.

“Diha ra man daw sila maglisud if the project is funded by the National Government (They would find it difficult only if the project is National Government-funded),” said Poblete.

To prevent duplications of projects, the City has asked DPWH to coordinate with the local government unit in the implementation of its infrastructure projects.

Mayor Michael Rama has been telling DPWH to coordinate with the City, saying the infrastructure projects they implement are within the territorial jurisdiction of the city.

Asphalting

Meanwhile, District Engineer Leonor said the asphalting of major thoroughfares in Cebu City will continue until the projects are finished, because the Comelec has granted DPWH’s request for an exemption from the election ban.

The bidding for these asphalting projects was concluded last November, but the implementation was delayed because of some modifications, Leonor said.

“The Comelec ruled that all projects that were issued a notice of award before the election ban period are exempted from the ban, provided that the implementing agency such as DPWH will make such a request,” Leonor said.

The asphalting projects include Natalio Bacalso Ave. passing Sambag 1, Mambaling, Basak-San Nicolas, Basak-Pardo, Kinasang-an, Pardo and Bulacao; Katipunan St. passing Barangays Labangon and Tisa; V. Rama and other major roads.

Old layers of asphalt had to be scraped before the new high-grade asphalt is applied on the roads. The scraping and asphalting jobs are done at night to prevent traffic congestion.

“All our projects were given a notice to proceed (NTP) before the ban period and also included in our request for exemption to the Comelec,” Leonor said. (Sun.Star Cebu)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post
    Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post

    After nearly a year, President Aquino finally made good his promise to a long-time ally – former Cavite governor and congressman Erineo Maliksi – to head the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), replacing Margarita Juico who resigned in May 2014. Maliksi must be officially elected by the PCSO board members as their chairman. Prior to his appointment to the PCSO, Maliksi faced graft charges before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the alleged illegal purchase of P2.5 million worth …

  • US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense
    US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense

    A massive deployment of aircraft, personnel and warships characterizes this year’s Balikatan between the two allies, which war games were launched 30 years ago. Commander Lued Lincuna, Philippine Navy public affairs chief, said the Marine Battalion Landing Team-4 (MBLT-4) will link  up with the US 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force. …

  • P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China
    P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China

    With China’s actions threatening to “considerably alter the way of doing business globally,” President Aquino will ask the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to take a united stand against Beijing’s massive reclamation activities and other provocative acts in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. Aquino will raise the appeal to his ASEAN counterparts when they meet on April 27-28 in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia. Beijing reacted immediately to the plan, saying the …

  • OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism
    OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism

    The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) yesterday backed the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), warning that failure to see the peace process through with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) could open the door to extremism. OIC secretary-general Iyad Bin Amin Madani, who is in the country to rally support for the peace process and the BBL, told reporters at the Senate yesterday that the Philippines should not waste the opportunity to attain lasting peace in Mindanao, especially …

  • Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed
    Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed

    The head of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is opposing the plan of the Senate to investigate alleged “justice for sale” in the judiciary. In an interview yesterday, IBP national president Vicente Joyas contested the pronouncement of Senate President Franklin Drilon that the Senate Blue Ribbon committee can probe the reported corruption in the judiciary, as it remains part of the scope of the Senate’s investigative power. “The plan of the Senate to push through with the …

  • PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view
    PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view

    The camp of Floyd Mayweather is reportedly charging the Philippine National Police P200,000 for a pay-per-view deal of his fight with Manny Pacquiao, a PNP official said yesterday. Director Danilo Constantino, the PNP’s Chief Directorial Staff, said the cost of the pay-per-view for the fight makes it difficult for the PNP to sponsor the free viewing for its personnel and their dependents at Camp Crame’s multi-purpose center. “We are currently negotiating for the pay-per-view and we ever …

  • No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP
    No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP

    There has been no disruption in the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Alan Purisima was suspended in December 2014, an official said yesterday. PNP officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina is the one signing the PTCFOR cards, PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said. Cerbo, however, could not say when Espina started signing the cards and how many PTCFORs have …

  • HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’
    HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’

    A senior Hong Kong politician is under fire after she accused some Filipina domestic helpers of seducing their male employers, in comments branded “racist” and “offensive” by critics. There are 300,000 maids in Hong Kong, mostly from the Philippines and Indonesia, with concern growing among rights groups over their welfare following a string of abuse cases. But lawmaker Regina Ip, a close adviser to the city’s leader Leung Chun-ying and tipped as a future chief executive, cast the maids as …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options