Cebu City mayor won’t suspend use of q pass during Sinulog ‘21

·2 min read

ONLY those with quarantine passes with quick response codes issued by the Cebu City Government will be allowed out during the Sinulog 2021 on Jan. 17.

Mayor Edgardo Labella announced that he would not be suspending the use of quarantine passes so residents could participate in Sinulog activities.

He had suspended their use for 10 days for those who wanted to attend dawn masses or Misa de Gallo last month, even though Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma had announced that the faithful could watch the masses online.

He said he wanted to avoid what happened during the first two days of Misa de Gallo when churchgoers converged outside churches without observing the social distancing policy.

“We hope that there will not be a repetition of the same experience because it’s alarming and worrisome,” Labella said in an interview on Saturday, Jan. 2.

He said law enforcement groups will strictly implement age restrictions during the event, making sure those below 15 years old and above 65 years old remain indoors.

He said health policies to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease will be strictly implemented to control the crowd.

He said he already tapped the assistance of the Cebu City Police Office regarding this matter.

Labella said the public needs to keep in mind that there is a new coronavirus variant that is reportedly 70 percent more transmissible.

“I believe Sto. Niño will understand because these are not ordinary times,” he said.

As for the holding of other Sinulog activities, Vice Mayor Michael Rama said a physical audience will not be allowed since the events will be virtual, including the grand ritual showdown, which will be held at the South Road Properties.

Rama, who was appointed by Labella to lead the Sinulog activities, said the public must expect an “unconventional, innovative” Sinulog 2021 because of the ongoing health crisis. (JJL)