Cebu City nabs over 3,000 persons for violating curfew, not wearing masks

·1 min read

THE Cebu City Government apprehended a total of 3,812 individuals for various community quarantine violations, including failure to observe curfew and wear face masks in public spaces, from Oct. 1 to 31, 2021.

Raquel Bohol-Arce, head of the Cebu City Covid Action Team, said they caught 2,986 individuals who violated the curfew and 826 individuals for not wearing masks. The apprehensions were carried out with the Cebu City Police Office.

Since Oct. 20, Cebu City has been under Alert Level 2 in the government’s new system that replaces quarantine classifications. An area placed under Alert Level 2 means that the Covid-19 transmission is low and decreasing, and it leads to loosening of several restrictions, including that of non-essential travels of adult individuals and minors; however, the observance of minimum public health protocols such as wearing of face masks is still a must.

Cebu City’s curfew is from 11:30 p.m. to 4 a.m. The curfew before the city was placed under Alert Level 2 was longer at from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. Last year, the curfew was from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. when the city was first placed under general community quarantine on March 16, 2020.

Arce said 1,590 violators each paid P1,000 in fines, while 2,222 violators did not, opting instead to render a four-hour community service before going back home. (PAC / KAL)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting