Cebu City power ‘fully restored’ by first week of January 2022

·4 min read

CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama announced Monday that electric power in Cebu would be completely restored during the first week of January 2022.

In a press conference on Dec. 27, 2021, Rama said the restoration of power after Typhoon Odette (Rai) is being undertaken now and Secretary Alfonso Cusi of the Department of Energy has assured that Cebu will be energized as early as the first week of January next year.

Rama also urged the Visayan Electric Company to start going to mountain barangays since there aren’t that many problems there when it comes to debris and obstructions caused by Typhoon Odette.

“I want them to have people to do it because I hate if the poor are not being attended to,” said Rama.

As of 12 noon of Dec. 27, the Visayan Electric Company had energized 98,321 of its 474,182 affected customers, and restored 288 or 52.9 percent of the 544 power line segments within its franchise area.

Later in the day, it said it had also energized portions of the Cebu North Road in Liloan, and portions of more roads in Cebu, Mandaue and Talisay cities.

Visayan Electric’s franchise area covers the cities of Cebu, Mandaue, Talisay, Naga and the municipalities of Liloan, Consolacion, Minglanilla and San Fernando.

Last Sunday, Visayan Electric announced that it was targeting the 100 percent restoration of power in its franchise area by Jan. 31, 2022.

It said it was targeting to energize 30 percent (142,255) of its total number of customers by Dec. 31; 80 percent (379,346) by Jan. 10, 2022; and 100 percent (474,182) by Jan. 31, 2022.

During its press conference Sunday, Visayan Electric did not specify which areas in its franchise it would completely restore power to first, but it said Cebu City and Naga City were the two local government units in its franchise area that had suffered the most damage from Typhoon Odette.

On Monday, however, Mayor Rama said electricity would be fully restored as announced by him on the first week of January, as Secretary Cusi was working on the matter together with President Rodrigo Duterte.

“Once power is already installed, I am telling you that everything will just follow,” Rama said.

As of press time, Visayan Electric had not responded to inquiries on the pronouncement of Rama.

Some 166 linemen from different electric companies in the country have rendered assistance to Visayan Electric, bringing to 725 the personnel working to restore the electricity in Cebu.

Other distribution utilities

Last Saturday, the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines said it had energized all feeders connecting customers in Cebu (Visayan Electric, Mactan Electric Co. and Cebu Electric Cooperative Inc. or Cebeco 1, 2 and 3).

It said it had also restored two 138kV lines which are backbone lines serving parts of the province of Cebu.

However, it reminded the public that loss of power may be caused by affected transmission facilities of the NGCP or distribution facilities of local distribution utilities or electric cooperatives.

Cebeco 2 said it had fully restored power in the two cities and 11 towns it covers in northern Cebu.

Typhoon Odette had struck central and southern Cebu more severely than it had the northern portion of Cebu.

Last Dec. 22, Cebeco 1 said most of the 18 LGUs it covered in southern Cebu had been battered by Odette.

It said then that power had been restored only in parts of the towns of Ginatilan and Samboan, especially the highway, and that it aimed to energize the highway from Boljoon to Oslob on the same day.

A graphic posted by Sugbo News, the official news platform of the Cebu Provincial Government, showed that as of Dec. 27, there was still “no power” in 16 areas covered by Cebeco 1: Barili, Dumanjug, Ronda, Alcantara, Moalboal, Badian, Alegria, Malabuyoc, Santander, Oslob, Boljoon, Alcoy, Dalauete, Argao, Sibonga and Carcar City. (See page 10 for graphic.)

As for Cebeco 3, which covers one city and four towns in west-central Cebu, it reported that as of 3 p.m. Monday, Dec. 27, it had restored power to 44.44 percent of barangays in Asturias, 42.86 percent of barangays in Balamban, and 18.42 percent of barangays in Toledo City.

It said it had not restored power to any barangays in Aloguinsan and Pinamungajan towns.

As for Mactan Electric Co., which covers Lapu-Lapu City and Cordova, it has provided updates on the areas it has energized in its Feeders 1, 2 and 7, and the Tambuli Feeder, but it has not specified what percentage of its franchise area these energized portions represent.

The Sugbo News graphic shows that power has not been restored in Cordova.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting