Cebu City starts transferring trash from SRP to landfill in Binaliw

·1 min read

THE Cebu City Government has started collecting and transferring the garbage piled up on a portion of the South Road Properties (SRP), after its conduct of a massive two-day clearing of debris and waste in the wake of Typhoon Odette (Rai).

The hauling of waste toward the landfill in Barangay Binaliw has involved up to 30 dump trucks every night since last week.

City Councilor Jerry Guardo, who is involved in the waste transfer, said the target of completing the hauling is set before Fiesta Señor on Sunday, Jan. 16, 2022, as it was the directive of Mayor Michael Rama.

Since last week, no more garbage has been thrown at the SRP, which became the temporary “transfer station” of the waste and debris collected during the “Oplan Barug Sugbo,” which was held on Dec. 30, 2021 and last Jan. 2.

Only debris from toppled trees was permitted to be thrown at the SRP, Guardo said.

The councilor further said another citywide cleanup will be conducted on Saturday, Jan. 8, starting at 6 a.m. and ending at 6 p.m.

He said it is the responsibility of barangays to haul the collected garbage during the citywide cleanup Saturday.

Guardo said there are still Odette-toppled trees on the roadside, and collapsed roads.

The City, he said, will continue to clear the trees and repair the damaged roads to free motorists from obstructions.

Next week, the massive cleanup drive will head to the mountain barangays of Cebu City. (PAC / KAL)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting