THE Department of Health (DOH) 7, on Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2021, announced that all of the 19 recently recorded Covid-19 cases caused by the Delta variant in the region are from Cebu.
The DOH 7 said of the 19 cases, seven are from Cebu Province; six are from Cebu City, and six are from Lapu-Lapu City.
Of the seven additional Delta cases logged in Cebu Province, three are from Samboan while San Fernando, Boljoon, Talisay City, and Argao have one case each.
The samples were collected from July 2 to 16, the DOH 7 said.
As of now, a total of 59 cases of the Delta variant, whose samples were taken from the community, have been detected in the region, including the 19 newly-reported cases.
“Since we started the bio surveillance especially for the Delta variant, and the first batch of results were released and these were from the community samples, it is not far from the probability of a community transmission,” DOH 7 chief pathologist Mary Jean Loreche said.
All of these cases have been endorsed to their respective local government units and have finished their mandatory quarantine period (though still under monitoring) except for two deaths in Cordova, said Eugenia Mercedes Cañal, DOH 7 Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit head.
Cańal said they have sent a total of 268 samples, covering the period July 7 to 30, to the Philippine Genome Center for genomic sequencing.
Aside from the 59, Cañal also said a total of 14 returning overseas Filipinos (ROFs) also tested positive for the Delta variant.
Cañal said all the 14 ROFs arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport and had undergone quarantine in the NCR before coming to Cebu. They were endorsed to their respective LGUs for monitoring.
Of the 14 ROFs, Cañal said two are from Bohol (one from Talibon and one from Candijay), eight are from Cebu Province, one is from Cebu City, two are from Lapu-Lapu City, and one is from Siquijor.
The eight ROFs in Cebu Province include three from Talisay City, one from City of Naga, one from Argao, two from Consolacion, and one from San Remigio.
Meanwhile, officials of Samboan assured all health protocols under the town’s modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) with heightened restrictions are being observed.
This, after the town logged three more confirmed Delta cases on Tuesday following two Delta cases recorded in early August.
“We expected that after the previous result showed we already had two cases. But so far, the cases have been manageable,” Ryan Galano, Secretary to Mayor Emerito Calderon Jr. said in a mix of Cebuano and English.
Galano said Calderon will assess if the town would need another temporary treatment and monitoring facility (TTMF).
Galano said Samboan’s TTMF managed by one doctor and nurses from the Rural Health Unit could accommodate up to 24 patients.
Oxygen tanks are also readily available, he said.
Galano said all commercial establishments that are not allowed to operate under MECQ guidelines remain close in Samboan.
As of Aug 23, the southern town logged a total of 68 active Covid-19 cases, 214 total recoveries and 20 deaths since the start of the pandemic last year.
Samboan has started the vaccination rollout for the A4 category (frontline personnel in essential sectors) on Tuesday, Aug. 24. (with MVE)