Cebu not downplaying COVID-19 crisis – Gov. Garcia

Robie de Guzman

Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia has stressed that the provincial government is not downplaying the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic that has gripped the nation and many parts of the world.

In her regular virtual presser on June 22, Garcia emphasized that the Capitol is serious in handling the public health crisis, and has already allocated beds for patients infected with COVID-19 and other influenza-like and respiratory illnesses.

“Please wa mi mag-downplay. Wala lang sad mi mu-over react. Kung gusto ka mag-overacting mi, dili na nako mahimo kay kon ako na himuon daghan kaayong mga kinabuhi nga mangaangin,” she said.

(Please, we are not downplaying. We also did not over react. If you want us overacting, I cannot do that because a lot of lives will be affected.)

Garcia reported that as of June 21, one hundred thirty (130) beds have been allocated for patients with COVID-19 and other influenza-like illnesses – 35 of these beds have been occupied and 95 are vacant.

These are aside from the 788 total implementing bed capacity of the Capitol-run hospitals, 369 of which are currently occupied.

Garcia also stressed that the provincial government has implemented health protocols on suspected and confirmed cases since February 2020.

“As far as I am concerned, duna naman tay protocol on positives. There’s a DOH (Department of Health) protocol and that is the first-generation tracing. Unsa manang first generation- members of the household or those you have been in close contact, kauban nimo regularly sa trabaho,” Garcia explained. 

(As far as I am concerned, we already implemented protocol on positives. There’s a DOH protocol and that is the first-generation tracing. What does first generation means? Those are members of the household or those you have been in close contact, a regular companion at work.)

The governor also said that Cebuanos have the right to know that Covid-19 is not the only infectious disease to be taken care of as there are also other diseases like pulmonary tuberculosis, dengue, hypertension, and diabetes, among others. 

President Rodrigo Duterte earlier expressed his displeasure over “hard-headed” residents in Cebu, whose complacency amid the crisis may have contributed to the rising coronavirus cases in the province.

Duterte tasked Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu to go to Cebu City to oversee the COVID-19 situation there.

According to the Department of Health’s COVID-19 tracker, as of June 23, Cebu City has so far recorded 4,160 confirmed infections, Cebu province has 883 while the entire Central Visayas has reported 6,270 total cases.

The post Cebu not downplaying COVID-19 crisis – Gov. Garcia appeared first on UNTV News.