Champions League within reach, says Pardew

Alan Pardew admitted Newcastle were daring to dream of Champions League qualification after an emphatic win over Stoke lifted the Magpies into fourth place.

French midfielder Yohan Cabaye scored twice and created another for Papiss Cisse in a comprehensive 3-0 win which also saw another virtuoso display from winger Hatem Ben-Arfa.

The victory -- Newcastle's sixth straight win -- means Pardew's side have to be regarded as genuine contenders for a top-four finish despite a run-in that features games against Manchester City, Chelsea, Wigan and Everton.

With Tottenham losing 1-0 at Queens Park Rangers, Newcastle now have sole possession of fourth spot, three points of clear of Spurs in fifth.

"The Champions League is still a possibility and we are not hiding from that," said Pardew, who will be a keen observer of Everton's match at Manchester United on Sunday.

"If Everton don't win, that's qualification for the Europa League for us and and that's a big, big achievement for this club.

"But we haven't lost sight of the fact that the city feels there's a chance to do something really special. With four games left, we can still get into the Champions League. We will try to win them all and see where that takes us.

"We've got momentum and that's a dangerous tool to have in your locker. We are playing with confidence and got ourselves in a fantastic position, perhaps better than we thought we might be in."

Stoke, who were one of England's Europa league's representatives this season, were outclasssed for the entire 90 minutes, with Cabaye and Cheick Tiote dominating the midfield.

"Quality was the key. We had our normal work ethic, but a lot of quality from Cabaye, Cisse, Ba and Ben Arfa. They were a problem for Stoke," said Pardew.

"The one Cabaye made was better than the two he scored. How he saw that pass I don't know. It was exquisite, one of the passes of the season.

"We got some good performances and it's been a great season for us. We've kept targeting the last ten games to be in and around it and now there's only four left."

The match was effectively settled inside the first 18 minutes. Cabaye headed in the first goal from close range after Cisse headed Ben Arfa's cross against the bar, then Cisse took advantage of that pass which so delighted Pardew.

Cabaye added another in the 53 minutes with a composed finish, while Stoke never threatened to find a way past a Newcastle defence that has not conceded a goal in 398 minutes.

"That's four clean sheets," said Pardew. "We've got some stability at the back where Mike Williamson was outstanding looking after a very good striker in Peter Crouch.

"There is real confidence in the group. No matter what happens, we can deal with it."

Tony Pulis, the Stoke manager, suggested the difference between the two teams was the way Newcastle accepted their chances, but the reality was that they were outclassed by a team he believes can finish in the top four.

"Newcastle have lots of momentum. They have goals in them and can be very confident and assured in the last few games because they will score goals," he said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options