Chelsea prepare for 'bogey team' Liverpool

Roberto Di Matteo admits Liverpool have become Chelsea's "bogey team" ahead of the visit of Brendan Rodgers' side to Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

The importance of maintaining the pressure on Premier League leaders Manchester United will inevitably provide a more powerful incentive to the Blues, but Di Matteo's side are also anxious to end a run of four straight league defeats against the Anfield club

Chelsea savoured success by beating Liverpool in last season's FA Cup final, but with the current title race threatening to be a tight, three-way battle between the Blues, United and Manchester City, league points are now the immediate priority.

Manager Di Matteo said: "They are our bogey team. They seem always to play exceptionally well against us and get results. It is always difficult and very difficult to beat them.

"It hasn't happened too often in the last three years. We have to be aware of that and be very focused and try to play a very good game.

"First of all, they have very good players and they seem to have an exceptional game, one of their best of the season, whenever they play us.

"They always find to play us in a moment when we are not at our best. Sunday, we are in good spirits, full of confidence and the team is playing well. Hopefully it will be a different story."

Di Matteo's desire to reverse the recent trend will be shared by striker Fernando Torres who has yet to score against his former club since his £50 million move in January 2011.

Torres' performances have improved this season and he scored in the midweek Champions League victory over Shakhtar Donetsk but the Spain international has yet to reproduce the form he showed at Anfield.

"Sometimes playing against your old team gives extra motivation, sometimes it inhibits you," said Di Matteo. "It depends on his frame of mind playing against his old team.

"I am happy with his contribution. It is not about him repaying my faith. It's about him performing for the club. I hope every player feels they have the confidence of the manager."

Martin Skrtel, the Liverpool defender, shares Di Matteo's view that Torres - who has scored seven goals this season - remains a potent force.

Skrtel said: "Even if he isn't scoring goals at the moment he is still one of the best strikers in the world and still dangerous.

"I haven't seen Chelsea play too many times this season but from what I've heard his performances are better than last season."

Torres is certain to start but John Terry's inclusion on his return from a four-match domestic ban is far from guaranteed after Di Matteo's decision to leave the Chelsea captain on the bench against Shakhtar.

Liverpool manager Rodgers is more concerned with the threat offered by Juan Mata, Eden Hazard and Oscar who have provided Chelsea with a different attacking dimension this season.

Rodgers' side have only managed two Premier League wins in their 10 matches so far this season and the Reds already trail Sunday's opponents by 13 points.

But the manager, who rested nine players for the 1-0 defeat to Anzhi in the Europa Leauge, maintains there is nothing to fear in the trip to London.

He said "Chelsea are very dynamic, they're great technicians. They have three No 10s in their team really.

"They have Oscar, (Eden) Hazard and (Juan) Mata and we know the danger that they possess between them.

"You can't do everything to stop world-class players. They will always find space, find ways around what you do. So my focus will be on how we play."

"Stamford Bridge is always a difficult place to go and get a result but we will go there with confidence. We've got some top players who can hurt anybody on a given day."

Reds defender Glen Johnson is set to face his former club but Rodgers will make a late decision on goalkeeper Pepe Reina, who has been struggling with a groin injury.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Super typhoon weakens after entering Philippines

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — A super typhoon blamed for the deaths of at least four people on islands in the western Pacific Ocean has weakened after entering Philippine waters and is expected to further lose strength as it approaches the country's northeastern coast. …

  • Micronesians appeal for help after devastating typhoon
    Micronesians appeal for help after devastating typhoon

    Residents in storm wrecked areas of Micronesia appealed for help Thursday as a clean-up began on the worst affected islands after Super Typhoon Maysak swept through the region on its way towards the Philippines. "We can do with all the help we can get," Courtney Stinnett at the Truk Stop Hotel dive shop on the main island of Weno in Chuuk state told AFP. A state of emergency has been declared in Chuuk, the largest region in the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) where five people were …

  • From Space, Typhoon Maysak's Eye Looks Like a Black Hole (Photo)
    From Space, Typhoon Maysak's Eye Looks Like a Black Hole (Photo)

    It seemed like a black hole from a Sci-Fi movie," NASA astronaut Terry Virts wrote on Twitter. Virts and his fellow astronauts have been posting pictures of the typhoon, which is expected to hit the Philippines this weekend if it doesn't change course. "Commands respect even from space," wrote Samantha Cristoforetti, an Italian astronaut with the European Space Agency who launched into space with Virts in November. As of 11 a.m. EdT today (1500 GMT), the super typhoon was 223 miles (359 km) …

  • Muslim group calls for universal peace
    Muslim group calls for universal peace

    As predominantly Catholic Philippines and the rest of the Christian world observe the Holy Week, peace advocates like the Young Muslim Professionals Network (YMPN) are appealing to Filipinos of various creeds and persuasion to embrace the universal message of kindness, love and peace. The group issued the call as peace negotiations between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front teeter due to the Mamasapano incident where members of the rebel group killed 44 police commandos on a …

  • Ex-WB exec pushes BBL passage
    Ex-WB exec pushes BBL passage

    A former World Bank official has warned of dire consequences for the Philippines if the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) is not passed into law. Nigel Roberts, former director on conflict, security and development, said that more conflict could occur without the BBL. “It takes about 15 years to get back to pre-conflict GDP growth rates, and 20 years for trade to recover,” Roberts said in his blog at the World Bank website. The World Bank estimated that economic losses amounted to $10 …

  • Despite typhoon, summer is here
    Despite typhoon, summer is here

    Super Typhoon Chedeng roared toward Luzon as the weather bureau announced the official start of summer in the country yesterday. The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) announced yesterday the official start of the dry or summer season in the country due to the termination of the cold northeast monsoon. “The general public is advised to take precautionary measures to minimize heat stress and take note of the need in optimizing the daily use of …

  • Noy told: Just answer the questions
    Noy told: Just answer the questions

    Just answer the 20 questions. The Makabayan bloc of seven party-list representatives made this appeal to President Aquino yesterday after his spokesman claimed the Chief Executive has already answered most of the questions posed by the militant lawmakers regarding the Mamasapano incident. For instance, he said the President has not yet explained why he allowed then suspended Philippine National Police chief Director General Alan Purisima to take the lead in Oplan Exodus or the mission to …

  • DFA: Malaysia paying rent for Sabah
    DFA: Malaysia paying rent for Sabah

    Malaysia does not acknowledge the Philippine claim over Sabah but the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) maintained yesterday that the Malaysian government is paying rent for Sabah, indicating it rightfully belongs to the Philippines. The Malay Mail Online reported that Malaysian Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman said Malaysia has not and does not acknowledge the Philippine claim over Sabah when asked by media about the reported offer of the Philippine government to downgrade its Sabah …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options