China exports, imports slow in July

China's exports and imports slowed for the second consecutive month in July, official data showed Friday, highlighting worsening conditions in the world's second-biggest economy.

The figures -- sharply below market expectations -- add to concerns that China's economy is still losing steam despite government efforts to prop up growth and investment, in an effort to lessen the impact of the global slowdown.

Analysts said the weak data, combined with disappointing figures released Thursday, created further impetus for Beijing to announce more stimulus policies.

China's exports grew at a marginal one percent in July from a year earlier to $176.9 billion, the General Administration of Customs said in a statement, down from the 11.3 percent gain seen in June.

Imports rose 4.7 percent year-on-year to $151.8 billion last month, it said, compared with the June increase of 6.3 percent, indicating slowing domestic demand.

The trade surplus narrowed to $25.1 billion last month from $31.7 billion in June.

China, the world's biggest exporter, has been hit by weakness in overseas economies including debt-ravaged Europe, a key trading partner, while a sluggish property market and softening consumer spending have also proved problematic.

Exports to Europe fell 3.6 percent to $192.4 billion in the first seven months of the year from the same period in 2011, according to the data.

Shipments to the United States, meanwhile, rose 11.4 percent year on year in the seven months through July to $195.4 billion.

"This complicates the prospects for an imminent recovery," IHS Global Insight economists Ren Xianfang and Alistair Thornton said regarding the July trade data.

"With the export sector losing speed faster than expected, the government's current investment stimulus plan looks woefully inadequate," they wrote in a research note.

"The government is likely to respond by ramping-up its stimulus efforts, with both monetary and fiscal guns firing."

Zhang Zhiwei, an economist with Nomura International (HK) Limited, expects exports to remain weak in the coming months, as suggested by flat growth in imported parts for re-export purposes, in July.

"The set of weak macro data puts more pressure on the government to loosen policies," he said in a note.

China has already this year taken the rare step of slashing interest rates twice in quick succession while also lowering requirements for how much money banks must keep in reserve as it looks to spur lending.

A slowdown in consumer price inflation in July for the fourth straight month is seen as giving authorities more room to further loosen monetary policy in a bid to boost the slumping economy.

The consumer price index rose 1.8 percent last month year-on-year, the government also said Thursday, the lowest level since January 2010.

Chinese shares closed down 0.24 percent in response to the latest figures on Friday.

The benchmark Shanghai Composite Index slipped 5.29 points to 2,168.81. However, it rose 1.69 percent for the week on expectations of monetary easing.

On Thursday the government announced that industrial production -- which measures output at the country's factories, workshops and mines -- and retail sales, the main measure of consumer spending, both slowed in July.

Fixed-asset investment -- a key gauge of official spending on infrastructure and on which authorities are pinning hopes for a recovery -- rose 20.4 percent on year in the first seven months of the year -- a weak performance by Chinese standards.

The lower-than-expected increase in investment was in part due to a further cooling in China's property market, analysts said, as Beijing maintains a tight grip on the sector through measures such as bans on buying second homes and higher minimum downpayments.

In more gloomy news, the central bank said Friday that China's bank lending slumped 41.3 percent in July from the previous month.

Chinese banks extended 540.1 billion yuan ($84.9 billion) in new loans in July, compared with 919.8 billion yuan in June, the People's Bank of China said in a statement.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day
    Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day

    Honda Philippines Inc. (HPI), and David's Salon recently held the awarding ceremony for the Metro Manila winner of the David's Salon Scooter Raffle Promo at the 5th level of SM Megamall Building A. Loyal patron Maria Theresa Guevara took home a brand new Honda Click 125i. Present to grace the occasion were David's Salon Creative Director Laura Charlton and HPI Assistant Vice-President for Sales and Marketing Hideo Nishinaga.To the delight of all those in attendance, guests were treated to …

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options