China's Hu in Hong Kong for handover anniversary

Chinese President Hu Jintao on Friday urged Hong Kong's restive people to embrace the motherland as he visited the financial citadel for the 15th anniversary of its return to rule by Beijing.

Hu, whose three-day visit is his last as president before a key leadership reshuffle in Beijing, will preside over the inauguration of Leung Chun-ying as the city's next chief executive on Sunday.

But while he vowed to "walk more" and "see more" in Hong Kong, the first order of business on Hu's trip was a parade in front of the massed ranks of China's secretive military garrison.

The president stood to attention in an open-top vehicle, microphones arrayed in front of him, as he moved down the line of People's Liberation Army personnel, tanks and missile launchers in Hong Kong's remote New Territories.

"Thank you for your efforts comrades!" Hu, wearing a green uniform, shouted. The PLA members answered with a cry of "serve the people!" A huge banner aloft read "Love the motherland, love Hong Kong".

But polls indicate the highest level of anti-China discontent among Hong Kong's seven million populace since the 1997 handover from Britain, and the reaction on social media to the military show was caustic.

"It feels like we are in North Korea," one Hong Konger wrote on Facebook.

Several groups plan protests for Hu's visit despite a stifling police deployment. A march on Sunday is expected to draw tens of thousands demanding greater democracy and accusing Beijing of interfering in local affairs.

Authorities have erected giant barricades measuring more than two metres (6.5 feet) high around Hu's five-star hotel. Well away, one small knot of protestors on Friday kept up a clamour through a loudhailer.

Hu's schedule in Hong Kong has not been made known, apparently due to security concerns, apart from his expected attendance at Sunday's inauguration ceremony and a variety show to celebrate the anniversary on Saturday.

Prior to the PLA inspection, the Chinese president held a closed-door meeting with outgoing Chief Executive Donald Tsang and thanked him for his service. Tsang is stepping down after seven years in office.

His successor Leung was chosen by an election committee stacked with pro-Beijing elites, and many among the ordinary public say they feel disenfranchised amid a widening rich-poor gap and an influx of mainland cash.

"In the coming two days, I hope to be able to walk more, see more and personally feel the development of Hong Kong, understand the life and expectations of the Hong Kong people," Hu said on his arrival.

He said Hong Kong had achieved "significant" development since the handover and that the "one country, two systems" model, which guarantees the southern Chinese city a semi-autonomous status, had been upheld.

Hu, who last visited Hong Kong in 2007 for the 10th handover anniversary, also urged unity between Hong Kongers and their northern neighbours.

"The central government would like to use the valuable experience gained over the past 15 years with the people of all sectors in Hong Kong to unite together and look forward to further promote the practice of 'one country two systems'," the Chinese leader said.

Under the "two systems" principle, Hong Kong retains its own judicial and financial frameworks, with civil liberties including the right to demonstrate and press freedom not seen on the mainland.

Hu is expected to announce measures aimed at enhancing economic cooperation between Hong Kong and Beijing during his visit, as part of China's use of the city as a testing ground to turn the yuan into a global currency.

Chinese officials on Friday announced incentives for a financial zone in Shenzhen, close to the Hong Kong border, which will be jointly developed by both sides. It is due for completion by 2020.

Despite the closer integration, unease has been growing as Hong Kongers chafe at an influx of newly rich Chinese mainlanders, accusing them of taking everything from school places and maternity beds to baby milk formula.

A telephone poll of more than 1,000 people released last week by the University of Hong Kong showed mistrust among Hong Kongers toward Beijing at a new post-handover high of 37 percent.

By contrast, a poll released in August 2008 after the Beijing Olympics showed the figure at a relatively low 14 percent, when nationalistic sentiment was strong throughout China.

Prior to the handover, mistrust levels stood at 44 percent in May 1997.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options