Chinese and EU solar makers at war over dumping

A host of EU solar makers have called on the European Commission to probe alleged dumping practices by its Chinese rivals, as Beijing warned an investigation could trigger a trade war.

EU ProSun, the group of more than 20 European solar companies, called on Brussels to "investigate unfair trade practices by Chinese manufacturers" in a statement Thursday.

The group suspects China of providing its solar players with large loans and other subsidies that allow them to sell their solar cells at prices below their production cost.

"Europe has the world's most advanced and innovative solar industry, but we've fallen on hard times and are faced with bankruptcy filings because of these Chinese products sold at rates that are up to 55 percent below cost production," EU ProSun President Milan Nitzschke told AFP.

The dumping practice referred to by Nitzschke -- also vice-president of German cell maker SolarWorld AG -- is banned by the European Union and the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and was at the centre of a recent trade decision.

The United States decided in May to slap hefty anti-dumping duties on Chinese solar cell makers, which Beijing blasted as "protectionist".

Now the European solar firms want the EU to follow suit with trade defence measures of its own, as they struggle to keep up with their Asian rivals.

According to an International Energy Agency (IEA) ranking, seven of the world's leading manufacturers of solar modules are Chinese.

Industry pioneer Germany, in particular, has felt the strain, with local solar firms going belly up right up to the industry flagship Q-Cells.

And in France, fellow veteran Photowatt was acquired by a power utility earlier this year after filing for insolvency.

But with EU solar firms sounding the alarm, China's manufacturers have fired back, calling the dumping allegations "groundless".

Four leading firms in China warned Thursday that a possible EU anti-dumping investigation could trigger a trade war and urged Beijing to step in to protect their interests.

They called on the Chinese government to block the case by opening dialogue with the European Union in the Thursday statement.

More than 60 percent of China's $35.8-billion-worth solar shipments were exported to the EU last year while the country imported $7.5 billion of European solar equipments and raw materials, they said.

A probe "would trigger a full scale trade war between China and Europe," they said, adding the country is a big market for European products including cars, aircraft, machines and luxury goods.

They added that any move to restrict market access would disrupt global efforts to achieve the goal of saving energy and cutting emissions in the long term.

The companies also said the growth of Chinese solar companies actually helped create most of the EU's current 300,000 jobs in related industries.

"Any additional punitive tax will also contribute to the loss of thousands of jobs in the European solar industry," Suntech Europe President Jerry Strokes told AFP Wednesday.

Suntech Power Holdings Co., one of the firms spearheading the Chinese offensive, is a global solar leader along with First Solar in the US.

In apparent retaliation to the US duties, China last week started a probe into alleged dumping of solar products by US manufacturers as well as alleged US government subsidies for the sector.

As for the EU probe, a spokesman for the EU Environment Commissioner said Thursday the office had yet to receive the complaint, which Nitzschke confirmed to AFP they had lodged this week.

Once the probe request is recorded, the Commission will have six weeks to make its decision. Germany has already committed to support its solar players in their battle.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • McCain seeks defence funding to help Asia against China challenges
    McCain seeks defence funding to help Asia against China challenges

    By David Brunnstrom WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A leading U.S. senator has proposed that the United States provide hundreds of millions of dollars to help train and equip the armed forces of Southeast Asian countries faced with Chinese territorial challenges. Republican Senator John McCain, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, made the proposal in an amendment to the 2016 U.S. Defense Authorization Act expected to be passed later this year, entitled the South China Sea Initiative. It …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. The President’s visit would boost relations between the two countries on all aspects including defense and security, according to Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary for Asian and Pacific Affairs Minda Cruz. …

  • CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike
    CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike

    The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) appears to have released erroneous data on the allowed tuition and other fee increases in Metro Manila for the incoming academic year. On the list of the 51 approved higher education institutions (HEI) allowed to impose hikes, CHED pegged the average increase in tuition at P32.34 per unit and the average increase in other fees at P34.79. However, a Philippine STAR re-computation showed that the actual average approved tuition increases in Metro …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options