Chong Hua to open in Mandaue

NOTING a growing need to serve cancer patients, especially in radiotherapy, the board of directors of Chong Hua Hospital unveiled the plans for a 300-bed hospital in Mandaue City.

Located 100 meters from Parkmall, the 1.5 hectare lot purchased early this year is expected to serve, not only Mandaue City, but patients from neighboring towns in the north of Cebu province.

“This will carry the distinctive brand of excellence of Chong Hua Hospital and the time honored tradition of service to society by the Asociacion Benevola de Cebu, since 1901 to the present,” said Asociacion chairman Victoriano Go during Saturday’s inaugural dinner.

With Mandaue City’s over 300,000 residents and another 300,000 residents from neighboring northern municipalities and cities like Consolacion, Danao and Lapu-Lapu and tourists, its population could easily reach 600,000, Go said. He added that the hospital’s location, which is accessible to the seaport and airport, will also allow them to serve nearby islands in the Visayas and Mindanao.

Go went on to say that Cebu still lacks hospital beds, the current ratio being 0.5 beds per 1,000 population. He noted that neighboring countries have higher bed to population ratios, with Singapore having 3.3, Malaysia with 2.5 and Thailand with two for every 1,000.

Population

“Two hospitals within the vicinity with a combined bed capacity of 600 is still considered inefficient for such a huge population,” said Go, referring to another hospital that the University of Cebu is also constructing in the area.

He noted that Cebu City’s 600,000 local residents are being served by seven hospitals with a combined bed capacity of about 2,000.

The hospital will focus on cancer care, along with basic ancillary and cancer support services such as a multi-disciplinary team for comprehensive care to give the patient the best treatment option, access to cancer-related information, education psychosocial distress screening and counseling, options for genetic assessment and a cancer registry that collects data on cancer types, stages and treatment results.

The center hopes to be at the forefront of cancer research and develop an oncology subspecialty training program. Until that happens, they want to ensure the completeness of the existing Chong Hua hospital by establishing a radio-oncology facility to offer radiotherapy for cancer patients.

After getting their accreditation from the Joint Commission International in 2009, the board began discussions to complete their services by setting up a cancer center. Go said it was apparent that their existing facility was not “suitable” for radio-oncology services, which led them to search for another area. Their choices were either at the South Road Properties or at the North Reclamation Area. By the third quarter of last year, they had decided to purchase the lot in Mandaue City.

Apart from the hospital, the building will also have a floor for commercial establishments such as a healthy food court, visitors’ lounge and specialty shops with items essential for the daily living of cancer survivors. These include apparel, canes, compression garments with trained staff to assist with product selection, gift items to inspire and support healthy lifestyles, hair loss and hair alternatives for those who have faced hair loss due to cancer treatments, mastectomy products and physical therapy items.

2 buildings

The facility will have two buildings, with one to hold offices for its doctors. Ninety percent of the rooms will be private while the remaining 10 percent will be allocated for subsidized care. The initial plan is to have 100 beds but they want to be able to bring the number to 300 in the future. Since the hospital will be a center for cancer and will have equipment for radiotherapy, they will not be offering obstetrics in this facility, although deliveries are still available at their Cebu City hospital.

Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes said this was good news for residents of the city and assured them that they made the right decision in deciding to put up the facility in Mandaue. For her part, Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia echoed Cortes, saying that by building in Mandaue, the institution would be “extending their brand of service to the neighboring towns of Cebu.”

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post
    Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post

    After nearly a year, President Aquino finally made good his promise to a long-time ally – former Cavite governor and congressman Erineo Maliksi – to head the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), replacing Margarita Juico who resigned in May 2014. Maliksi must be officially elected by the PCSO board members as their chairman. Prior to his appointment to the PCSO, Maliksi faced graft charges before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the alleged illegal purchase of P2.5 million worth …

  • US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense
    US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense

    A massive deployment of aircraft, personnel and warships characterizes this year’s Balikatan between the two allies, which war games were launched 30 years ago. Commander Lued Lincuna, Philippine Navy public affairs chief, said the Marine Battalion Landing Team-4 (MBLT-4) will link  up with the US 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force. …

  • P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China
    P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China

    With China’s actions threatening to “considerably alter the way of doing business globally,” President Aquino will ask the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to take a united stand against Beijing’s massive reclamation activities and other provocative acts in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. Aquino will raise the appeal to his ASEAN counterparts when they meet on April 27-28 in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia. Beijing reacted immediately to the plan, saying the …

  • OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism
    OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism

    The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) yesterday backed the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), warning that failure to see the peace process through with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) could open the door to extremism. OIC secretary-general Iyad Bin Amin Madani, who is in the country to rally support for the peace process and the BBL, told reporters at the Senate yesterday that the Philippines should not waste the opportunity to attain lasting peace in Mindanao, especially …

  • Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed
    Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed

    The head of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is opposing the plan of the Senate to investigate alleged “justice for sale” in the judiciary. In an interview yesterday, IBP national president Vicente Joyas contested the pronouncement of Senate President Franklin Drilon that the Senate Blue Ribbon committee can probe the reported corruption in the judiciary, as it remains part of the scope of the Senate’s investigative power. “The plan of the Senate to push through with the …

  • PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view
    PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view

    The camp of Floyd Mayweather is reportedly charging the Philippine National Police P200,000 for a pay-per-view deal of his fight with Manny Pacquiao, a PNP official said yesterday. Director Danilo Constantino, the PNP’s Chief Directorial Staff, said the cost of the pay-per-view for the fight makes it difficult for the PNP to sponsor the free viewing for its personnel and their dependents at Camp Crame’s multi-purpose center. “We are currently negotiating for the pay-per-view and we ever …

  • No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP
    No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP

    There has been no disruption in the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Alan Purisima was suspended in December 2014, an official said yesterday. PNP officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina is the one signing the PTCFOR cards, PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said. Cerbo, however, could not say when Espina started signing the cards and how many PTCFORs have …

  • HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’
    HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’

    A senior Hong Kong politician is under fire after she accused some Filipina domestic helpers of seducing their male employers, in comments branded “racist” and “offensive” by critics. There are 300,000 maids in Hong Kong, mostly from the Philippines and Indonesia, with concern growing among rights groups over their welfare following a string of abuse cases. But lawmaker Regina Ip, a close adviser to the city’s leader Leung Chun-ying and tipped as a future chief executive, cast the maids as …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options