BARRIO chapels situated in parishes in five barangays in Cebu City are exempted from the city’s temporary suspension of chapel masses, an official of the Archdiocese of Cebu said on Saturday, July 10, 2021.
In a circular issued by the Archdiocese, Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma said barrio chapels situated in the mountain barangays of Guba, Pulangbato, Buhisan, Sudlon 1 and the Maowawan quasi-parish in Barangay Babag are exempted from the temporary suspension of chapel masses in Cebu City as they were reportedly “far from their respective parish chapels.”
Sunday masses at the barangay gymnasium in Barangay Cogon, Pardo are also exempted as these are of a different category since these are essential in the Archdiocese’s preparation for the future erection of the Sto. Pio Parish in the barangay.
But even though they are exempted, administrators of barrio chapels in the aforementioned parishes are still required to implement health and safety protocols especially during the holding of masses such as marking pews to guide massgoers where they can sit to promote social distancing.
The Archdiocese also requires barrio chapel administrators to limit the mass attendance to 50 percent of the chapels’ maximum capacity.
Children below 15 years old are still not allowed to attend mass.
Senior citizens, however, who are 66 years old and above are allowed to be physically present provided they have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 or two weeks after they receive their second dose.
The Archdiocese also suspends temporarily the celebration of masses in offices and factories, saying it would be “very difficult again to check” the suitability of these places by the local government units (LGU).
As to baptism and confirmation, the Archdiocese is still preventing children below 15 years old from attending physically unless they are the recipients of the Sacraments.
The Archdiocese also advised couples to hold simpler weddings and discouraged the use of entourages. Children below 15 years old are also not permitted to physically attend the celebration.
On masses dedicated to the dead, the Archdiocese can just allow one wake mass in the home of the deceased with the need to coordinate with its concerned LGU.
“Again, discretion of the parish priest is likewise to be exercised, especially if the implementation of health protocols will be compromised due to venue limitations,” the circular reads.
Earlier this month, the Archdiocese suspended the holding of barrio chapel masses in Cebu City for the entire month of July owing to the recent spike in Covid-19 cases. (WBS)