CIDG nabs 8 persons in Boljoon as part of Oplan Bolilyo

POLICE raided an illegal gambling establishment in Sitio Talisay, Barangay Poblacion in the southern town of Boljoon, Cebu on Friday night, Nov. 11, 2022.

Elesio Cavalida, the 60-year-old supervisor, was able to escape.

However, Angelo Gonzales, 37; Melbert Lastimoso, 23; Ryanin Labaya, 19; Magdalino Gomilao, 36; Niko Nuevo Gonzalez, 21; Jemuel Empis, 22; Jocelyn Dinoyo, 46; and Leonides Mira, 31, were not so lucky.

The suspects, who came from different parts of Cebu Province, were arrested for operating “Dropball” and “Three Ball” games.

They will be charged with violating Presidential Decree 1602, which was passed “to simplify and provide tougher penalties for illegal gambling activities or violations” of gambling laws.

Major Nazarino Emia, chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group Cebu Provincial Field Unit, led the operation dubbed Oplan Bolilyo with the help of operatives from the Boljoon Police Station.

Oplan Bolilyo is the CIDG’s campaign against illegal gambling.

Emia said they received a complaint that the games had been operating for several weeks in the lead up to the town’s fiesta, which takes place every second weekend of November.

He said games did not have a permit from the town, the barangay or the police.

When they arrived in the area, they found eight tables laid out and high stakes being offered, Emia said.

They immediately handcuffed the operator of each table, he said.

Police confiscated the eight tables and the balls used in the games, some gambling paraphernalia and P15,000 in cash believed to be proceeds from illegal gambling. (GPL / PJB)