THE Cebu City and Cebu Provincial governments have agreed to send home 200 individuals who served as watchers for, or carers of, Covid-19 patients admitted at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC).
The watchers initially stayed in front of VSMMC but they were transferred to the Fuente Osmeña Circle after photos of their dire condition at the hospital went viral on social media.
Jonil Matuguina, Department of Social Welfare Services (DSWS) assistant head, said the City and the Province agreed to help in assisting the affected watchers and transport them to their respective towns.
When photos of the watchers went viral, VSMMC officials said they were surprised by their presence there when they had been informed by the hospital management that a “No Watchers Policy” has been implemented especially for those with Covid-19 patients.
But Matuguina said most of the watchers who were waiting outside the hospital were just accompanying the watchers who were inside the hospital taking care of their patients.
Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella had issued orders to DSWS to transfer the watchers to the Fuente Osmeña circle where they were given tents and food during their stay.
Matuguina said of the 200 individuals staying at Fuente Osmeña, 75 percent are residents of Cebu Province while the rest are from Cebu City.
Watchers who are residents of Cebu City were immediately brought back to their barangays through the city’s buses.
Matuguina said those staying at the Fuente Osmeña circle were supposed to return home on July 24, 2020, but Capitol officials appealed to the City to let them extend their stay there. (PAC)