Clinton heads to China with hopes over sea tensions

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton arrived in Beijing Tuesday after talks in emerging US ally Indonesia, where she voiced hopes for progress in managing increasing tensions in the South China Sea.

Clinton, on her third visit to the region since May, encouraged a united front among the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) as she stood firm in calling for freedom of navigation in the strategic sea.

The top US diplomat sounded an optimistic note in Southeast Asia's largest nation Indonesia, where President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said ties between the two nations were good but could be strengthened.

"Of course we have to do more... for further enhancing and strengthening our bilateral friendship and cooperation," he told Clinton, who headed from the meeting for a visit to the headquarters of ASEAN before departing for Beijing.

On her arrival in China, where she will spend two days, Clinton immediately headed for talks with Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi.

Earlier in Indonesia she said she saw positive signs in Southeast Asia and was optimistic over progress on a code of conduct governing the South China Sea, in time for an Asia summit in Cambodia in November to be attended by President Barack Obama.

"I think we can make progress before the East Asia Summit and it's certainly in everyone's interest that we do so," she told a joint news conference with Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa on Monday.

Clinton refrained from criticising China directly before her visit but signalled unease over Beijing's recent establishment of a remote garrison in the South China Sea where six nations have overlapping claims.

"The United States believes very strongly that no party should take any steps that would increase tensions or do anything that would be viewed as coercive or intimidating to advance their territorial claims," she said.

The United States has taken a vocal stance on the South China Sea, through which half of the world's cargo flows, as the Philippines and Vietnam accuse a rising Beijing of intimidation to exert its claims.

When Clinton visited Cambodia in July ASEAN foreign ministers for the first time failed to reach a joint communique at their annual meeting, as the nations stood divided on how to deal with an increasingly active China.

At ASEAN headquarters Tuesday, she said the US backed the bloc's goal of greater integration.

"We want to do all we can to advance ASEAN's goal of integration because we have an interest in strengthening ASEAN's ability to address regional challenges in an effective, comprehensive way," she said.

The United States and its partners believe a code of conduct would establish dialogue and mechanisms to manage disputes in the South China Sea and prevent flare-ups of the kind seen recently from escalating into full-blown conflicts.

In June Vietnam passed a law proclaiming its jurisdiction over the Paracel and Spratly islands, triggering Chinese protests. A stand-off between Chinese and Philippine vessels at Scarborough Shoal further increased tensions.

ASEAN Secretary-General Surin Pitsuwan said that in their meeting Tuesday Clinton had voiced her wish for the 10-nation bloc to speed up the process of implementing a code of conduct.

"She just wished that it would move fast, that we would get there fast, which is the intention of ASEAN and I'm sure the intention of China too," Pitsuwan told reporters after the meeting.

US relations with China have been fraught with tension, despite what US officials say is quiet cooperation in several areas including the pressuring of Iran over its disputed nuclear programme.

Chinese state media have accused Clinton of trying to contain the Asian power's rise. China claims most of the South China Sea and has generally preferred to negotiate individually with each nation instead of a united ASEAN.

Clinton's last visit to China in May was overshadowed by a crisis over prominent dissident Chen Guangcheng, who fled to the US embassy after reporting beatings while under house arrest in his home in Shandong province.

China eventually allowed the blind activist, who angered authorities by exposing forced abortions under the one-child policy, to leave for New York to study.

A US official said that Clinton was expected to discuss human rights but that it was unclear if Chen's case would again come up.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options