Comelec will be 'relaxed' on campaign expenses reports

  • Philippines says China rushing construction in disputed sea

    Philippines says China rushing construction in disputed sea

    Associated Press
    Philippines says China rushing construction in disputed sea

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippines' top diplomat said Thursday that China has been rushing construction projects, including massive land reclamation, in the disputed South China Sea in hopes of forestalling any legal moves against its vast territorial claims. …

  • Aquino takes responsibility for bungled mission in Philippines, but no …

    Aquino takes responsibility for bungled mission in Philippines, but no …

    Reuters
    Aquino takes responsibility for bungled mission in Philippines, but no …

    Philippine President Benigno Aquino on Thursday took responsibility for a bungled security operation in January that left 44 police commandos dead, but offered no public apology for the clash that has become his biggest political crisis in years. Since the secret mission, Aquino's approval and trust ratings have plunged to their lowest level in five years, and a peace process with the country's largest Muslim rebel group has stalled. "To every Filipino who has felt failure or has been hurt …

  • China wants to control South China Sea: Philippines

    China wants to control South China Sea: Philippines

    AFP News
    China wants to control South China Sea: Philippines

    The Philippines accused China on Thursday of seeking to take control of nearly the entire South China Sea with an expansionist agenda dominated by "massive reclamation" works. Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario said China's efforts were aimed at undermining a United Nations tribunal that is due to rule early next year on a Philippine challenge to its claims to the disputed waters. "China is accelerating its expansionist agenda and changing the status quo to actualise its nine-dash …

  • Israeli settlements may have already killed two-state bid - U.N.

    Israeli settlements may have already killed two-state bid - U.N.

    Reuters
    Israeli settlements may have already killed two-state bid - U.N.

    By Michelle Nichols UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Israeli settlements on occupied land wanted by the Palestinians may have already killed a possible two-state solution, said the United Nations Middle East envoy on Thursday as he suggested the U.N. Security Council should take action on the peace process. Palestinians seek a state in Gaza, the West Bank and East Jerusalem, lands Israel captured in 1967. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said last week ahead of his re-election he would …

  • Airlines to require 2 crew members in cockpit at all times

    Associated Press

    Airlines around the world on Thursday began requiring two crew members to always be present in the cockpit, after details emerged that the co-pilot of Germanwings Flight 9525 had apparently locked himself ... …

(Updated 12:38 a.m., 21 February 2013) The Commission on Elections will not be strict in the implementation of rules on campaign expenditure reporting, poll chief Sixto Brillantes Jr. said Wednesday.

“Maski hindi mag-report hindi mo naman agad mapapakulong yung mga yun. Usually very relaxed kami [in implementing that],” said Brillantes.

“Dadating naman yung reporting, kailangan naman namin yan later,” he added.

He said what is important to him now is the removal of illegal campaign posters.

“Malinis naman ngayon, ang Plaza Miranda the next day [after the LP proclamation] malinis na,” said Brillantes.

Related story: 'Public service' not electioneering, Palace says

However, lawyer Luie Guia said the poll body’s relaxed attitude could be adopted by the political parties and candidates will not take the election laws seriously.

“Surprising! Laws are clear as to when reports are to be submitted. Political parties and candidates must take disclosure requirements seriously. But how can we expect them to, if Comelec would be lax,” Guia said in a text message to GMA News Online.

“If Comelec does not want to see the reports, perhaps the general public would,” he added.

Also read: Tight race for UNA and LP bets, says poll

Section 88 of the Omnibus Election Code states that any political party or candidate shall notify the election registrar concerned of any public rally it intends to organize and hold in the city or municipality.

The political party or candidate should, within seven working days after the event, submit to the election registrar a statement of expenses incurred in the rally.

Section 14 of the Republic Act 7166 (An Act providing for synchronized national and local elections and for electoral reforms) states that every candidate and treasurer of the political party shall, within 30 days after the election day, file in duplicate with the offices of the Comelec the full, true and itemized statement of all contributions and expenditures in connection with the election.

It further stated that "no person elected to any public offices shall enter upon the duties of his office until he has filed the statement of contributions and expenditures herein required."

LP, UNA submit expenditure reports

The Liberal Party submitted its “Statement of Expenses on Public Rally” before the Comelec's 3rd district office on February 19, exactly seven days after its proclamation rally in Plaza Miranda on February 12.

LP shelled out a total of P1.89 million for the rally that started around 4 p.m. The administration party paid Creative Synergy, Inc. P945,560 for the rally’s staging and logistics and another P945,560 for production, based on the document secured by GMA News Online.

The statement was submitted by LP Treasurer Alfonso Umali Jr. Lawyer, Eddie Aba, Cebu provincial election supervisor, said the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) has also submitted its expenditure report for the rally held at Plaza Independencia in Cebu City, Cebu.

He, however, cannot provide the details as the document is still with the election officer, lawyer Edwin Cadungog.

Related story: End of the political road for Enrile in 2016?

Section 13 of RA 7166 provides that candidates may spend P3 for every voter currently registered in the area where he filed his certificate of candidacy while candidates without any political party and without support from any political party may be allowed to spend P5 for every voter.

Political parties, on the other hand, may spend P5 for every voter in areas where it has official candidates.

Some 52 million Filipinos are registered voters and can participate in the May 13 polls, according to Comelec records as of January 22, 2013. — DVM, GMA News

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • MVP on endorsement: Thanks, I’m no politician
    MVP on endorsement: Thanks, I’m no politician

    Businessman Manuel V. Pangilinan is grateful for Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago’s praise and presidential endorsement, but says he is not a politician. In an interview on the sidelines of the launch of the search for The Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) of the Philippines 2015 Wednesday night, Pangilinan dismissed the idea of running for president in the 2016 elections. “I’m not a politician, I’m just an ordinary business person,” he added. Santiago endorsed Pangilinan as a presidential candidate …

  • No Lenten break in operations vs lawless groups – AFP
    No Lenten break in operations vs lawless groups – AFP

    The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is not suspending its offensive against the Abu Sayyaf, New People’s Army (NPA) and other lawless groups during the Holy Week, an official said yesterday. Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc, AFP public affairs office chief, said the AFP leadership is leaving it up to area and division commanders whether to raise the alert status in preparation for the Holy Week. Those deployed in areas where there are ongoing law enforcement operations against terrorist groups …

  • Probe harassment vs human rights lawyer, CA orders AFP
    Probe harassment vs human rights lawyer, CA orders AFP

    The Court of Appeals (CA) has ordered the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to investigate a human rights lawyer’s claim of harassment, including surveillance, by several military officers. In a 22-page decision, the former Special Sixth Division of the appellate court granted the petition for writ of amparo and habeas data of Maria Catherine Dannug-Salucon. The CA ordered the AFP to identify the officers behind the surveillance and file charges against them. The CA ruling said …

POLL
Loading...
Poll Choice Options