Cook has faith in England's ODI future

England captain Alastair Cook believes the team's best limited overs days are ahead of them even though they are now again the world's top-ranked side in 50-over international cricket.

Cook's men briefly lost their place at the summit of the standings after a heavy defeat by South Africa in Southampton last week.

But they bounced back in London following wins by four and six wickets in the one-day internationals (ODIs) at The Oval and Lord's respectively.

Sunday's success at Lord's gave England a 2-1 lead in a five-match campaign heading into Wednesday's finale in Nottingham and meant South Africa could no longer achieve the series victory they needed to extend their brief stay at number one.

Meanwhile Australia's recent defeat by Pakistan in Abu Dhabi scuppered their hopes of overtaking England at the head of the standings before the year is out.

"It's certainly not a bad thing," Cook, who last week also became England's Test captain after the retirement of Andrew Strauss, said of being number one.

"But I think we feel this side has its future ahead of it, rather than behind it," explained the 27-year-old opening batsman, who will hope to lead England to a maiden World Cup title in Australia and New Zealand in 2015.

Cook, a member of the England side that lost its position at the head of the Test standings to South Africa earlier this season, added: "We're still striving to improve in all areas.

"We've only been together for a year or so. We've had some really good results, but certainly don't feel like the number one side -- like we did when we got there as a Test team."

England suffered an 80 run-hammering in Southampton but bounced back well.

Sunday's win at Lord's saw them, albeit after Cook won the toss in overcast conditions, restrict South Africa to 220 for eight.

They then overcame the early loss of Cook to make 224 for four with man-of-the-match Ian Bell, revelling in his new role as a one-day opener, scoring 88 and putting on 141 with Warwickshire colleague Jonathan Trott (48).

"Clearly after what's happened this summer, we could have let our heads go down -- a bit of a case of 'here we go again'," said Cook.

"We admitted we didn't get it right at the Ageas Bowl (in Southampton), and we've bounced back really well.

"We've still got a series to win, but I'm very proud of what we've done this weekend in back-to-back matches."

Bell replaced Kevin Pietersen as an opener after the South Africa-born batsman briefly retired from limited overs internationals.

Pietersen has since rescinded that decision but finds himself in England exile over issues of "trust and mutual respect".

He was dropped following his 149 in the drawn second Test against the Proteas last month after it emerged he'd sent "provocative texts", some allegedly critical of his team-mates, to opposition players.

But whatever the Test ramifications, Bell's form means Pietersen has not been missed in one-dayers.

"It was a classy knock again. I say that time and time again when you watch Belly play," said Cook.

"He has so much time, and he's delivering the goods at the top of the order. He's come back into the side, and he's been outstanding."

Meanwhile South Africa captain AB de Villiers, disappointed with the way his side had failed to score enough runs for the second consecutive match, was pleased to still have the goal of a series-levelling victory in his sights.

"I'd like to think the whole of the top six play as a unit and we haven't been performing well," said de Villiers. "There's no excuse, the guys are batting in the places they feel comfortable.

"The positive thing is the series is still alive. We can level it, which would be a great achievement, and I really believe we can do that."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel
    Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel

    The $150,000 pearl-studded, custom-made Calvin Klein dress worn by Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o at this year's Academy Awards has been stolen, police said on Thursday. The gown, embellished with 6,000 natural white pearls, was stolen from Nyong'o's room at the London Hotel in West Hollywood, during the day on Wednesday, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in West Hollywood said. "Ms Nyong'o was not in the room at the time of the theft," Deputy John Mitchell …

  • US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians
    US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians

    The US-led coalition has carried out air strikes against the Islamic State group in northeastern Syria, where the jihadists have launched a new offensive and kidnapped 220 Assyrian Christians. The raids on Thursday struck areas around the town of Tal Tamr in Hasakeh province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, without giving information on possible casualties. The town remains under the control of Kurdish forces, but at least 10 surrounding villages have been seized by IS, along …

  • Militants abduct more Christians, smash ancient artifacts
    Militants abduct more Christians, smash ancient artifacts

    BEIRUT (AP) — Islamic State militants seized more Christians from their homes in northeastern Syria in the past three days, bringing the total number abducted by the extremist group to over 220, activists said Thursday. …

  • 3 Pinays on Forbes power women list
    3 Pinays on Forbes power women list

    Three Filipina executives, who are all daughters of known business tycoons in the country, made it to Forbes’ list of the 50 most powerful businesswomen in Asia. Teresita Sy-Coson, vice chairman of SM Investments and chairman of BDO Universal Bank, was included in the list for the fourth year in a row since its inception. “Under her (Sy-Coson) lead SMIC became the largest listed company on the Philippine Stock Exchange by market cap. Also in the 2015 list is 70-year-old Helen Yuchengco-Dee, …

  • 13 of 15 SAF survivors to leave PNP hospital
    13 of 15 SAF survivors to leave PNP hospital

    Thirteen of the 15 Special Action Force (SAF) policemen who survived the bloody firefight with Muslim rebels in Mamasapano last month are ready to go home after a month of medical treatment, a police official said yesterday. Philippine National Police (PNP) spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said the two remaining survivors will have to stay in hospital for further treatment, one of whom has shrapnel embedded near his spine. One of the two SAF commando survivors is still …

  • Review: SKK Mobile V2, a P3,999 watered-down LG G2
    Review: SKK Mobile V2, a P3,999 watered-down LG G2

    How well does this P3,999 offering from an underdog in the local mobile industry stack up against the competition? Let's find out. …

  • US sends spy plane to patrol disputed sea
    US sends spy plane to patrol disputed sea

    The United States has deployed its newest and most advanced surveillance aircraft for patrols over the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. The P-8A Poseidon aircraft completed more than 180 flight hours from Feb. 1 to 21 from Clark Air Base, according to the US Navy’s 7th Fleet. …

  • China bans ivory imports for 1 year to protect elephants
    China bans ivory imports for 1 year to protect elephants

    BEIJING (AP) — China imposed a one-year ban on ivory imports that took immediate effect Thursday amid criticism that its citizens' huge appetite for ivory has fueled poaching that threatens the existence of African elephants. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options