Corona suddenly leaves impeachment court

Son-in-law says Corona was on the verge of fainting

(UPDATE 2) After his long opening statement, Chief justice Renato Corona suddenly left the Senate session hall, to the surprise of Senator-judges and the rest of the spectators.

Corona left the court after stating that he will only submit a confidentiality waiver when all 188 impeachment complainants and Senator Franklin Drilon have "signed their own waivers."

“I am humbly asking the 188 congressmen and Senator Franklin Drilon to sign the blank forms and to join me to face the people together,” the chief justice said.

“This is not a manipulation. This is a challenge to public accountability. I am no thief, no criminal, I haven't done anything wrong but I am also no fool,” he added.

Corona camp lead counsel Serafin Cuevas said there might have been a "misunderstanding" and that his client did not walk out.

However, Corona's move apparently got the ire of Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile who earlier patiently waited for the magistrate to finish his speech.

"If you are going to disrespect this court, we will make a decision on this case right now," Enrile said, as he ordered all Senate entry points locked.
 
“With all due respect to the chief justice, we have not yet discharged him!”  the Senate President, sitting as presiding officer, said.
 
Lead defense counsel Serafin Cuevas said there has only been a “misapprehension” and Corona was probably attending to personal matters and taking his medicine.

Hypoglycemic episode

Doctor Jojo Castillo, Corona's son-in-law said the Chief Justice had a "hypoglycemic episode."

"My father-in-law has diabetes and he wasn't able to take his lunch. He mentioned blurring vision at the end of his testimony," Castillo told reporters, adding that the Chief Justice took medicine and soda.

"That's why he said, 'Excuse me.' He didn't want to faint inside the session hall.," he added.

'I am innocent'

Earlier, the embattled Chief Justice maintained he was falsely accused in his impeachment, as he lamented President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III's "hatred" against him.

He was also seen crying in between statements he issued before the impeachment court.

In his opening statement when he took the impeachment witness stand Tuesday, Corona also spewed tirades against his accusers.

"Ako po ba ay hadlang, ako po ba ay sagabal sa kung ano o kung di kaya'y kanino? So far po lahat ng nakita ko dito...ay hatred, galit sa isang tao," Corona said in his opening statement at the Day 40 of the impeachment trial.

"Bakit po ba ganito na lamang ang galit sa akin nitong kasalukuyang admin ni Pangulong aquino. Ano ba ang kasalanan ko sa kaniya, sa bayan? Wala akong kasalanan sa pagkakaalam ko," added Corona.

Corona said he is ready to dispute every claim made against him and that he doesn't have any bit of fear, although he admitted that he and his family went through hell the past months.

"Ako'y walang takot, walang nerbyos sapagkat siguradong sigurado ako wala akong kasalanan. Wala akong ginawang katiwalian at ako ay hindi nagnakaw sa gobyerno," he said.

"Malinis po ang aking konsensiya. Malinis po ang konsensiya ng aking pamilya, wala kaming ginawang masama, wala kaming ginawang kawalang hiyaan katulad ng pinapalabas sa iba ibang sektor ng media," he added.

"Kalbaryo po. Hindi po madali ang pinagdaanan sa limang buwan na ito. lahat na yata ng kasinungaliangan, lahat ng putik ay itinapon na lang sa amin," Corona lamented.

Corona said whatever wealth he and his family own are results of their hard work and not corruption.

"Ito po ba ay ninakaw sa kaban ng bayan? Ito po ba ay kinurakot ng punong mahistrado? Iisa ho ang sagot diyan. Hindi po. Lahat po ng aming ari-arian ay pinaghirapan sa malinis na paraan at wala naman pong naisiwalat na ginawa kong katiwalian. Walang wala po," he added.

At one point during his speech, Corona was also in tears while relating that all he has now was a product of being frugal.

Dollar accounts

In his testimony, Corona debunked accusations that he owned 82 dollar accounts with $10 million.
 
He said he only had four dollar accounts as of December 2011 and he even signed a waiver allowing the public disclosure of his four dollar accounts.
 

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options