Corona suddenly leaves impeachment court

Son-in-law says Corona was on the verge of fainting

(UPDATE 2) After his long opening statement, Chief justice Renato Corona suddenly left the Senate session hall, to the surprise of Senator-judges and the rest of the spectators.

Corona left the court after stating that he will only submit a confidentiality waiver when all 188 impeachment complainants and Senator Franklin Drilon have "signed their own waivers."

“I am humbly asking the 188 congressmen and Senator Franklin Drilon to sign the blank forms and to join me to face the people together,” the chief justice said.

“This is not a manipulation. This is a challenge to public accountability. I am no thief, no criminal, I haven't done anything wrong but I am also no fool,” he added.

Corona camp lead counsel Serafin Cuevas said there might have been a "misunderstanding" and that his client did not walk out.

However, Corona's move apparently got the ire of Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile who earlier patiently waited for the magistrate to finish his speech.

"If you are going to disrespect this court, we will make a decision on this case right now," Enrile said, as he ordered all Senate entry points locked.
 
“With all due respect to the chief justice, we have not yet discharged him!”  the Senate President, sitting as presiding officer, said.
 
Lead defense counsel Serafin Cuevas said there has only been a “misapprehension” and Corona was probably attending to personal matters and taking his medicine.

Hypoglycemic episode

Doctor Jojo Castillo, Corona's son-in-law said the Chief Justice had a "hypoglycemic episode."

"My father-in-law has diabetes and he wasn't able to take his lunch. He mentioned blurring vision at the end of his testimony," Castillo told reporters, adding that the Chief Justice took medicine and soda.

"That's why he said, 'Excuse me.' He didn't want to faint inside the session hall.," he added.

'I am innocent'

Earlier, the embattled Chief Justice maintained he was falsely accused in his impeachment, as he lamented President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III's "hatred" against him.

He was also seen crying in between statements he issued before the impeachment court.

In his opening statement when he took the impeachment witness stand Tuesday, Corona also spewed tirades against his accusers.

"Ako po ba ay hadlang, ako po ba ay sagabal sa kung ano o kung di kaya'y kanino? So far po lahat ng nakita ko dito...ay hatred, galit sa isang tao," Corona said in his opening statement at the Day 40 of the impeachment trial.

"Bakit po ba ganito na lamang ang galit sa akin nitong kasalukuyang admin ni Pangulong aquino. Ano ba ang kasalanan ko sa kaniya, sa bayan? Wala akong kasalanan sa pagkakaalam ko," added Corona.

Corona said he is ready to dispute every claim made against him and that he doesn't have any bit of fear, although he admitted that he and his family went through hell the past months.

"Ako'y walang takot, walang nerbyos sapagkat siguradong sigurado ako wala akong kasalanan. Wala akong ginawang katiwalian at ako ay hindi nagnakaw sa gobyerno," he said.

"Malinis po ang aking konsensiya. Malinis po ang konsensiya ng aking pamilya, wala kaming ginawang masama, wala kaming ginawang kawalang hiyaan katulad ng pinapalabas sa iba ibang sektor ng media," he added.

"Kalbaryo po. Hindi po madali ang pinagdaanan sa limang buwan na ito. lahat na yata ng kasinungaliangan, lahat ng putik ay itinapon na lang sa amin," Corona lamented.

Corona said whatever wealth he and his family own are results of their hard work and not corruption.

"Ito po ba ay ninakaw sa kaban ng bayan? Ito po ba ay kinurakot ng punong mahistrado? Iisa ho ang sagot diyan. Hindi po. Lahat po ng aming ari-arian ay pinaghirapan sa malinis na paraan at wala naman pong naisiwalat na ginawa kong katiwalian. Walang wala po," he added.

At one point during his speech, Corona was also in tears while relating that all he has now was a product of being frugal.

Dollar accounts

In his testimony, Corona debunked accusations that he owned 82 dollar accounts with $10 million.
 
He said he only had four dollar accounts as of December 2011 and he even signed a waiver allowing the public disclosure of his four dollar accounts.
 

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel
    Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel

    The $150,000 pearl-studded, custom-made Calvin Klein dress worn by Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o at this year's Academy Awards has been stolen, police said on Thursday. The gown, embellished with 6,000 natural white pearls, was stolen from Nyong'o's room at the London Hotel in West Hollywood, during the day on Wednesday, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in West Hollywood said. "Ms Nyong'o was not in the room at the time of the theft," Deputy John Mitchell …

  • US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians
    US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians

    The US-led coalition has carried out air strikes against the Islamic State group in northeastern Syria, where the jihadists have launched a new offensive and kidnapped 220 Assyrian Christians. The raids on Thursday struck areas around the town of Tal Tamr in Hasakeh province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, without giving information on possible casualties. The town remains under the control of Kurdish forces, but at least 10 surrounding villages have been seized by IS, along …

  • 3 Pinays on Forbes power women list
    3 Pinays on Forbes power women list

    Three Filipina executives, who are all daughters of known business tycoons in the country, made it to Forbes’ list of the 50 most powerful businesswomen in Asia. Teresita Sy-Coson, vice chairman of SM Investments and chairman of BDO Universal Bank, was included in the list for the fourth year in a row since its inception. “Under her (Sy-Coson) lead SMIC became the largest listed company on the Philippine Stock Exchange by market cap. Also in the 2015 list is 70-year-old Helen Yuchengco-Dee, …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Militants abduct more Christians, smash ancient artifacts
    Militants abduct more Christians, smash ancient artifacts

    BEIRUT (AP) — Islamic State militants seized more Christians from their homes in northeastern Syria in the past three days, bringing the total number abducted by the extremist group to over 220, activists said Thursday. …

  • China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral
    China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral

    China is building some “fairly amazing submarines” and now has more diesel- and nuclear-powered vessels than the United States, a top US Navy admiral told US lawmakers on Wednesday, although he said their quality was inferior. Vice Admiral Joseph Mulloy, deputy chief of naval operations for capabilities and resources, told the House Armed Services Committee’s seapower subcommittee that China was also expanding the geographic areas of operation for its submarines, and their length of …

  • 13 of 15 SAF survivors to leave PNP hospital
    13 of 15 SAF survivors to leave PNP hospital

    Thirteen of the 15 Special Action Force (SAF) policemen who survived the bloody firefight with Muslim rebels in Mamasapano last month are ready to go home after a month of medical treatment, a police official said yesterday. Philippine National Police (PNP) spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said the two remaining survivors will have to stay in hospital for further treatment, one of whom has shrapnel embedded near his spine. One of the two SAF commando survivors is still …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options