It could take 17 years to finish 17-km Naga to Minglanilla road

·2 min read

LACK of funding has delayed the completion of Segment 3 of the Metro Cebu Expressway project, a public works official said Monday, May 30, 2022.

Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Central Visayas Director Edgar Tabacon said the 17.15-kilometer Segment 3 project from Naga City to Minglanilla town has not been completed due to slow movement of the funding.

About P4.5 billion had been allocated for Segment 3, but the funds are being released on a staggered basis, Tabacon said.

Tabacon said since the project started five years ago, the National Government has released only P1.3 billion or P260 million every year for Segment 3.

Tabacon said if this trend continues, it will take them 17 years to complete Segment 3.

“Atong accomplishment is dependent on the funding that they released. Lahi man ni sa PPP of foreign assisted project (Our accomplishment depends on the funding that they released. This is different from the public-private partnership of foreign assisted projects),” Tabacon said.

He added that they should not rely solely on funds from the Philippine government.

“Dili pwede anhi ra gyud dinhi kuhaon. Dili maayo nga local funds ra ang atong saligan; otherwise na, abtan ta og siyam-siyam ani (We cannot rely only on local funds; otherwise, the project will take years to complete),” he said.

The Metro Cebu Expressway project traverses the slopes in the mountains of Naga City in the south to Danao City in the north. It has a span of 73 kilometers and a total budget of P28 billion. It is seen to cut the travel time from Naga to Danao from three hours to one hour.

Work on Segments 1 and 2 from Talisay City to Danao City, which span 57 kilometers, have not been started yet.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting