CPP: No ceasefire on NDF's 38th anniv on Sunday

There will be no Easter ceasefire from the New People's Army (NPA) when the National Democratic Front marks its 38th anniversary Sunday, the Communist Party of the Philippines said Friday.

In a statement, the CPP said there will be "mass celebrations" to mark the victories of the past year this Sunday.

"(An Easter) ceasefire declaration is highly unlikely (as the Aquino administration and its chief negotiator) continue to exhibit unpeaceable attitudes and actions," it said in a statement on its website Friday afternoon.

"The CPP is not keen on issuing an Easter Sunday ceasefire declaration as the Aquino government continues to show itself as unpeacable with the continued detention of key NDF negotiators covered by the immunity agreement as well as hundreds of other political prisoners. The Aquino regime has also undertaken a renewed campaign of extrajudicial killings which has already victimized at least 15 labor leaders, peasant and social activists in a matter of months and intensified the militarization of civilian communities in the rural areas," it added.

The CPP said that, on Sunday, the "revolutionary forces" will aim to "achieve bigger victories in the struggle against foreign intervention, government corruption, exploitation and oppression of workers and peasants, unemployment, poverty, militarization, disease and environmental destruction."

The CPP said that the Aquino administration had "shown a general lack of interest in addressing the socio-economic and political roots of the armed conflict."

The CPP claimed the government "refuses to heed the demand to put an end to cutbacks in social spending which have resulted in upwardly spralling costs of services, putting them beyond the reach of ordinary Filipinos."

Also, it said that the government refuses to address the widespread clamor to abrogate the Oil Deregulation Law, which it said allowed foreign oil companies to jack up prices at will in a supposed drive for maximum profit.

But it particularly scored chief government negotiator Alexander Padilla for "provocative and unstatesmanly statements that disparage the revolutionary movement."

Padilla had been quoted earlier as saying social networking and the Internet may be pushing Philippine rebels "into oblivion."

"He continues to disappoint peace advocates who knew him as a human rights lawyer as he now conducts himself more and more like a spokesman of the fascist AFP," the CPP said.

The CPP said the revolutionary forces under the NDF will continue to engage the Philippine government in peace negotiations as an additional avenue to push forward the agenda of the national democratic revolution.

But at the same time, it called on the Filipino people to "continue intensifying mass strugges and the armed revolution to advance their aspirations for national liberation and social emancipation." - TJD, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options