Criscito out of Italy squad after police search

Domenico Criscito will not be part of Italy's Euro 2012 squad following his implication in the "Calcioscommesse" match-fixing scandal, Italian football federation vice-president Demetrio Albertini said Monday.

Criscito was handed a notice of indictment in a dawn raid on Monday in which his hotel room at Italy's pre-Euro base near Florence was searched by police.

Italy coach Cesare Prandelli was due to announce his 23-man squad later on Monday but Albertini has confirmed Criscito will not be a part of it.

"It was a decision shared by Prandelli and the federation," said Albertini. "He (Criscito) is disappointed about the repercussions on the national team and the dressing room.

"He explained certain things to me and I believe his version and in his innocence."

In a series of co-ordinated raids, 19 people were held by police following an investigation into illegal betting by the Cremona public prosecutor.

Of those, 14 were arrested, three were held under house arrest and two more ordered to present themselves to police.

Lazio captain Stefano Mauri and Padova midfielder Omar Milanetto, formerly of Genoa, were amongst those arrested.

Juventus coach Antonio Conte was submitted to a home search, as was Chievo captain Sergio Pellissier.

But the main drama was at Italy's Coverciano base, just outside Florence, where police swooped at 6:35 am (0435 GMT).

Criscito's room was searched, although it is believed nothing was taken away.

Cremona public prosecutor Stefano Di Martino told a news conference that no other national team players were involved and that Criscito could "calmly go to the Euros", as he was merely helping police with the investigation.

His alleged involvement relates to a meeting he had in May last year, when playing for Genoa, with two of the clubs "ultra" fans, then team-mate Giuseppe Sculli and a Bosnian with a criminal record.

The Calcioscommesse affair is believed to involve a group of Hungarians, a group of "Zingari" -- Gypsies in Italy -- and the heads of the crime syndicate in Singapore.

Two Hungarians were arrested on Monday while three others were already behind bars, one of whom has been co-operating with police.

Di Martino stressed that Criscito has not been charged with anything and the player's agent Andrea D'Amico said his client was feeling calm.

But Prandelli is a stickler for discipline and has previously excluded players from Italy duty when they were serving club bans.

Criscito, 25, who plays for Zenit St Petersburg in Russia, has largely been the first-choice left-back under Prandelli, although he has used several players in that position since taking over from Marcello Lippi following the 2010 World Cup.

The European Championships kick-off in less than two weeks while Italy play friendlies against Luxembourg on Tuesday and Russia on Friday.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options