Mass detentions in Egypt after deadly Cairo clashes

Egypt's military ruler attended Saturday an unprecedented public funeral for a soldier killed in clashes with protesters as the army detained 179 people over the violence in the run-up to landmark presidential polls.

Following the arrest of 320 people after Friday's clashes near the defence ministry in Cairo, the prosecution "has decided to hold 179 people, including 13 women, for 15 days pending investigation," a military source said.

The ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) had imposed an overnight curfew in the Abbassiya neighbourhood after fighting between troops and anti-military protesters that left two people dead -- including a solider-- and nearly 300 injured.

The clashes erupted just three weeks ahead of Egypt's first presidential election since a popular uprising ousted president Hosni Mubarak last year.

The SCAF has vowed to hand power to civilian rule when a president is elected, but protesters believe the army wants to maintain a degree of power even after the elections and fear the polls will rigged in favour of a pro-military candidate.

In Cairo, military ruler Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi attended the funeral of Samir Anwar Ismail, who died in Friday's clashes.

Tantawi and his deputy Sami Enan, joined the procession after the funeral prayer for Ismail, a member of a special forces unit, his comrades told AFP.

Horse-drawn carriages pulled the coffin behind honour guards carrying wreaths as Tantawi, Enan and other SCAF members followed alongside the family of the dead soldier.

The military in the past had refused to disclose their casualties in clashes with protesters, saying it did not want to affect the morale of the army.

But it made an exception with Ismail's funeral because "his death at the hands of protesters represents a clear attack on the army," an officer told AFP.

Saturday's press called for an end to the violence, with state-owned newspapers calling on protesters to confine their demonstrations to Tahrir Square -- the epicentre of the uprising that toppled Mubarak.

"Tahrir is calling Abbassiya: Go back to the square," the state-owned Al-Gomhuriya said on its front page headline.

"Enough Blood," said the government owned Al-Akhbar.

On Saturday morning, after the curfew ended at 0500 GMT, the protests had subsided in the area surrounding the defence ministry, while soldiers and armoured personnel carriers blocked off a road leading to the ministry.

Officials at Al-Zahra University hospital said on Friday they received two people who died in the skirmishes outside the ministry. A frontline medic group said they died of gunshot wounds.

The health ministry said only the soldier died, while at least 296 people were hurt in the clashes, including 131 who were treated in hospital.

The SCAF had imposed the curfew starting from 2100 GMT, and pledged in a statement to "decisively confront" any attempts to break it.

Earlier on Friday, military police had charged the protesters, chasing them down side streets near the ministry on foot and in military vehicles, firing birdshot and assault rifles into the air amid chaotic scenes.

A blanket of thick smoke engulfed Abbassiya square, where several thousand secular and Islamist protesters had gathered, some marching there from Tahrir Square, to denounce the SCAF.

The clashes began when some protesters threw rocks at the military police.

The unrest comes ahead of the landmark presidential polls amid fears by many Egyptians that the military rulers will renege on a pledge to hand power to civilian rule after the election and that the vote will be rigged.

"We are here to end SCAF rule. We don't trust them. SCAF is following Mubarak's example, and we want to protect the revolution," said Mohammed Badawi from Ismailiya, a member of the Coalition of Revolution Youth.

The Abbassiya neighbourhood witnessed deadly clashes just two days earlier, which the health ministry said left at least nine people dead, though field medics say more died.

On Wednesday, unknown attackers stormed a sit-in near the defence ministry by supporters of Salafist politician Hazem Abu Ismail, after he was disqualified from the presidential race.

Other candidates include former Arab League chief Amr Mussa and Mubarak's last premier Ahmed Shafiq.

The powerful Muslim Brotherhood has fielded the head of its political arm Mohammed Mursi whose main Islamist rival is Abdel Moneim Abul Fotouh, a former Brotherhood member.

On Thursday, the SCAF vowed that the presidential election will be fair and moved to assure the public it will hand over power on schedule but warned against protests outside the defence ministry.

The presidential election is scheduled for May 23 and 24 with a run-off for June 16 and 17 if there is no outright winner.

The military vowed it would transfer power to civilian rule before the end of June, or by May if there is a clear winner in the first round.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Noy leaves for US
    Noy leaves for US

    President Aquino leaves today for the United States to begin his three-day North American trip that will culminate in a state visit to Canada. The President departs at 8 a.m. on a chartered Philippines Airlines flight to Chicago for a one-day working visit. From Chicago, the President will proceed to Canada where he and Prime Minister Stephen Harper will witness the signing of bilateral agreements on labor cooperation, development assistance and infrastructure development. Canada is home to …

  • China accuses Phl of violating South China Sea Code
    China accuses Phl of violating South China Sea Code

    China has accused the Philippines of violating a 13-year-old informal code of conduct in the South China Sea with its building work on disputed islets, firing back again after repeated criticism of China’s own construction work. China and the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) signed an agreement in 2002 to refrain from occupying uninhabited reefs and shoals in the sea, and from building new structures that would complicate disputes. In a statement released just before …

  • Noul to bring stormy weather to central, northern Luzon
    Noul to bring stormy weather to central, northern Luzon

    Tropical storm  Noul  (international name) will bring stormy weather to the eastern section of Central and Northern Luzon this weekend, as it slightly gained strength and moved westward toward the Philippine area of responsibility yesterday. Rene Paciente, Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) senior weather forecaster, said the eastern section of Central and Northern Luzon, including Aurora, Isabela and Cagayan, may experience rains with gusty …

  • House asked to allocate P500-M legal aid for OFWs
    House asked to allocate P500-M legal aid for OFWs

    The House of Representatives was asked yesterday to appropriate P500 million for legal assistance for distressed overseas Filipino workers (OFWs). Reprieved death convict Mary Jane Veloso mirrors the tragedy of many OFWs in search of better job opportunities abroad “who become victims of human and drug trafficking and other forms of exploitation,” according to Bill 5704 that the seven-member Makabayan bloc of lawmakers had filed. The lawmakers said Veloso’s family claims that they were not …

  • World’s best place to be a mom: Norway is tops; Phl 105th
    World’s best place to be a mom: Norway is tops; Phl 105th

    Norway ranks as the world’s best place to be a mother, well ahead of the United States, which dropped to the 33rd spot in the annual scorecard released by Save the Children on Monday. Somalia is the worst place, just below the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Central African Republic. The Philippines placed 105th out of 179 countries, but the Save the Children report, which profiled Metro Manila among other cities, said that the National Capital Region has done better than most megacities …

  • Philippines' largest telco sees costly, painful fight
    Philippines' largest telco sees costly, painful fight

    Philippine Long Distance Telephone, the country's largest telecommunications firm, said Tuesday it expects to spend nearly $1 billion in a "painful" fight to survive the consumer shift to digital from traditional phone services. The listed company said net profit for the first three months of the year was flat at 9.4 billion pesos ($211 million), and the full-year net profit would likely fall below the 34.1 billion pesos it posted last year. "It's either we pivot or we perish," PLDT chairman …

  • China says Philippines violating South China Sea code

    China has accused the Philippines of violating a 13-year-old informal code of conduct in the South China Sea with its building work on disputed islets, firing back again after repeated criticism of China's own construction work. China and the 10-member Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) signed an agreement in 2002 to refrain from occupying uninhabited reefs and shoals in the sea, and from building new structures that would complicate disputes. In a statement just before midnight …

  • Mineski’s 2015 SEA grand finals to be held in Malaysia

    Twelve teams from seven countries will be participating in this year’s Mineski Pro-Gaming League South-East Asian Grand Finals (MPGL7 SEA Grand Finals), set to take place from May 9-10. For the first time, the finals will be held outside of the Philippines, instead taking place in Selangor, Malaysia as part of the 2015 Selangor Cyber Games. “The decision to move the grand finals from PH to Malaysia came into mind last year, right after the Season 6 grand finals,” said Marlon Marcelo, …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options