Daanbantayan mayor tests positive for Coronavirus

AFTER learning that Mayor Sun Shimura of Daanbantayan, Cebu tested positive for Covid-19, Talisay City Mayor Gerald Anthony Gullas Jr. underwent rapid testing on Monday, June 22, 2020, and the result was negative.

Gullas and Shimura attended the meeting initiated by Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia, who met with mayors and other government officials at the Capitol Building in Cebu City on Wednesday, June 17. They discussed matters related to the fight against Covid-19 in the province.

Garcia said: “Well, we are praying for Mayor Sun’s recovery. Even he, a mayor, had a hard time finding a hospital with an available room for a Covid patient. As far as I am concerned, we have protocol in place with regard to positives, and that is first-generation tracing. First-generation refers to members of the household or those that you are in close contact with such as your workmates whom you see regularly. The meeting we had was a one-time thing. So our statement is, we are praying for the swift recovery of Mayor Sun Shimura.”

The other attendee was Naga City Mayor Kristine Vanessa Chiong, who said there was no need for her to isolate herself as she was seated far from Shimura during the event and she did not interact with him.

Chiong said: “I was seated in front, on the first row, very far from where Mayor Sun was seated at that time. I am praying for Mayor Sun’s full and fast recovery. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy.”

For his part, Gullas did not say he interacted with Shimura. However, to make sure he can continue his duties, he had himself tested.

Shimura is the second mayor on the island of Cebu to get infected with the coronavirus. Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Junard Chan was also infected with the virus.

In an official statement posted on Daanbantayan’s Official Facebook page, Shimura said a swab test was taken on Saturday, June 20, and it showed he is positive for the virus.

Shimura said on June 15, he underwent a Covid-19 rapid diagnostic test after feeling feverish in the past days.

The rapid test results came out negative, thus he continued his work at the municipal hall.

On June 16, he left Daanbantayan for his residence in Mandaue City to attend the meeting at the Provincial Capitol on June 17.

On June 18, he again felt feverish and started coughing. He did not return to Daanbantayan and instead consulted a doctor.

He rested and on June 20, he underwent a swab test and the result released June 21 showed he is positive for coronavirus.

As of press time, Shimura had met with the members of the Inter-Agency Task Force on Covid-19 and Incident Command System on the steps to take.

He also ordered the disinfection of the entire municipal hall on June 22 and temporarily suspended the operations of the Mayor’s Office for one week.

Shimura said he is now in isolation and treatment as ordered by his doctors. (MVG, ANV)