Davao Airport cleared

Davao City - The ill-fated Cebu Pacific plane was finally moved out of the grassy portion of the Francisco Bangoy International Airport (Davao international airport) at 5 p.m. yesterday, paving the way for the clearing of the runway and the resumption of normal operations.

Joint crew of the Cebu Pacific and the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) here successfully moved the plane out of the grassy portion of the airport onto the old parking ramp of the airport.

Normal operations of the Davao international airport were to resume at 8 o'clock last night.

Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) Deputy Director General Rodante Joya said they have already released a notice to airmen (NOTAM) about the looming resumption of flights going to and from Davao.

Joya said that CAAP and Cebu Pacific personnel towed the aircraft to the old parking ramp of the airport to eventually clear the runway from obstructions.

"As per Director General William Hotchkiss, we are set to open the airport at 8 p.m.," he said.

"We have already sent notice to airmen that Davao Airport is closed (only) until 8 p.m. (and that) airline companies can already inform their passengers that they will be landing in Davao thereafter," Joya added.

The aviation official, however, would not comment on what penalties or fines will be imposed on Cebu Pacific for failing to meet government's deadline to remove the aircraft from the runway at 3 p.m., saying Hotchkiss would be the appropriate person to quote on the legal matter.

But Joya confirmed that CAAP has incurred a minimum loss of P1.5 million due to the closure of Davao international airport for the past two days. He said there is an average of 3,750 passengers that pay P200 terminal fees for departing Davao on a daily basis.

"CAAP lost at least P1.5 million in terminal fees for almost two days. This does not even include other revenues from log in, parking fees, and other charges," he added.

On June 2, Cebu Pacific flight 5J-971 from Manila veered off the runway of the airport amid heavy downpour. Cebu Pacific apologized for the incident and the consequences it entailed after assuring that all 165 passengers of the aircraft were "unhurt and safely shuttled to the terminal, where their needs were taken care of."

On Tuesday afternoon, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte Carpio reiterated her plan to sue airport management due to their refusal to allow emergency personnel from the Central 911 to help them.

Mayor Duterte Carpio said they are now in the process of completing all the documents necessary for the filing of cases at the Ombudsman.

The mayor had already sent a letter to Frederick San Felix, the airport area manager of CAAP in Davao City, to submit to her office the name and complete contact information of the designated airport disaster and emergency response officer; the standard operating procedures operational guidelines on airport emergency; and the schedule of emergency response drill for 2013.

Earlier, Malacañang issued an ultimatum for Cebu Pacific to clear the airport or the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) will do the towing of the crippled plane.

Presidential Communications Development Secretary Ramon Carandang said the government was ready to take over the removal operations of the plane from the runway if Cebu Pacific could not do it by 3 p.m. Tuesday. He emphasized that airport runway must be cleared so flight operations can be restored in Davao.

"DOTC (Department of Transportation and Communications) Secretary Jun Abaya has given instructions to CAAP that if the timetable to remove the airplane is not acceptable, then CAAP has to take over the clearing," Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said.

"We wanted to give Cebu Pacific a chance to do it themselves. It's their property that was damaged. But if they're not able to do it by today, by 3 p.m., then we will be forced to come in and clean it up ourselves," he said.

"It's also important for us to get the normal traffic going again in the Davao airport," he added. "We understand the concerns of the public and we share those concerns." (With a report from Genalyn D. Kabiling)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam
    Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam

    Filipinos aspiring to work overseas should avoid dealing with a recruitment agency that has duped jobseekers worldwide, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said yesterday. The National Bureau of Investigation has padlocked Global Visas Inc., which is based in Cebu. Baldoz said the agency’s parent company, ICS Global Visas Inc. based in the United Kingdom, has reportedly collapsed and left thousands of applicants without jobs.  “Global Visas was in the limelight this week, following its reported …

  • Lawmakers split on tax exemption for Pacquiao
    Lawmakers split on tax exemption for Pacquiao

    Colleagues of boxing champion Manny Pacquiao at the House of Representatives backed yesterday a proposal to exempt his earnings from his May 2 fight with American Floyd Mayweather from income tax. Internal Revenue Commissioner Kim Henares has urged Pacquiao to promptly pay taxes on his May 2 earnings, which are projected to reach at least $120 million (more than P5.2 billion). …

  • Woman with slain Putin critic says she didn't see his killer
    Woman with slain Putin critic says she didn't see his killer

    MOSCOW (AP) — The 23-year-old Ukrainian model who was with slain opposition leader Boris Nemtsov tearfully recounted Monday their last dinner in a chic Red Square restaurant and their walk onto a nearby bridge — but said she did not see the gunman who pulled the trigger. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options