MANILA, Philippines – The city government of Davao has announced that it is banning the entry of live hogs and pork products from Luzon, Davao Occidental, and several areas in Davao del Sur amid the threat of African Swine Fever (ASF).
Mayor Sara Duterte said the ban, which took effect last Monday, February 3, aims to prevent the spread of the swine disease and further protect the local hog industry.
“We do not eat pork that is contaminated with ASF. Although it does not affect humans, it is not also fit for human consumption,” she said.
The move follows reports on cases of ASF infection in two barangays in Davao City – Dominga and Lamanan in Calinan District.
Local authorities said culling operations for the 2,500 pigs in the said areas have already started to prevent the disease from spreading to nearby villages.
The first case of ASF in Mindanao was reported in Don Marcelino town in Davao Occidental in January, several months after an outbreak was declared in Luzon.
Duterte assured that the local government has set aside a P20 million fund to aid hog raisers affected by the ASF.
“We will check, inspect and conduct depopulation if ASF is positive and pay for your pig and piglets. Thereafter you cannot grow pigs for the next 3 months,” she said.
The mayor added that quarantine checkpoints had been set up in the city’s entry and exit points.
She also called on local pig farmers to immediately report to the city’s veterinary office should their hogs show signs of ASF, which include high fever, decreased appetite, heavy discharge from eyes and nose, and red or blotchy skin lesions. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Marisol Montaño)
The post Davao City bans entry of hogs, pork products from Luzon, neighboring provinces appeared first on UNTV News.