Investigators launch probe into deadly Russian floods

Investigators launched a probe into possible negligence after flash floods in southern Russia killed at least 171 people and President Vladimir Putin demanded an explanation from officials.

First funerals were held in the town of Krymsk, the worst hit area in southern Krasnodar region, as emergency workers pulled more bodies from the debris and survivors insisted they had not received any flood warning.

Some bodies were taken from Krymsk after the Saturday flood to morgues in other cities because the town's morgue quickly overflowed, grieving relatives told AFP Sunday at a funeral service held for a local man.

The negligence of local authorities and a failure to learn from past disasters were a prime factor behind the flooding, the press said on Monday.

With officials keen to blame freak rains for the disaster, both pro-government and opposition newspapers showed rare unanimity in saying the authorities had badly failed local inhabitants in the worst-hit town of Krymsk.

Putin demanded Saturday evening that officials explain the massive death toll in what is the first major disaster since he returned to the Kremlin for a third term in May.

However Putin, who compared the force of water to a "tsunami", also quickly moved to dispel rumours that the deluge might have been caused by an emergency opening of sluice gates at a local reservoir.

Russia's Investigative Committee said Sunday it has launched a criminal probe into possible negligence that has caused people's deaths after Putin called for an investigation to see "who acted how."

At least 171 people died in the disaster, including 12 in the port of Novorossiisk and the popular Black Sea resort town of Gelendzhik where five were electrocuted, a police official with the emergency task force in Moscow told AFP.

The worst hit area was a district around Krymsk with population of about 57,000 where rescue teams have found 159 bodies including three children, police said.

Most of the victims were pensioners, many caught by the floods in their sleep. The disaster damaged properties of 24,000 people, Krasnodar Governor Alexander Tkachev said, according to his press service.

Krymsk is about 200 kilometres (120 miles) northwest of the Black Sea resort of Sochi where Russia will host the 2014 Winter Olympic Games.

Flash floods frequently batter towns along the picturesque Black Sea coast during seasonal rains in the Caucasus mountains, but authorities said the current disaster is unprecedented as they struggled to explain the massive toll, saying only that many people may have been caught offguard.

The force of the water was so ferocious that many residents said they suspected the floods were caused by a release of water at a local reservoir on the Neberdzhai River.

Putin, wearing a black shirt, was shown on television Saturday evening grilling officials about whether an emergency release of water was possible.

"Where did the water come from?" Putin asked government officials in televised remarks.

Governor Tkachev swiftly replied: "It was raining."

On Sunday Tkachev faced a crowd of angry people as he tried to fend off charges that the government had not done its job properly and sought to explain it was simply impossible to notify each and everyone.

"It's like an earthquake. It's impossible to predict it. Do you think it was man-made?" Tkachev asked the crowd in televised remarks Sunday. "Yes!" the people cried back.

He had earlier called on people to stop spreading "stupid rumours," saying the region was pelted with five months' worth of rain.

Investigators acknowledged Sunday that repeated releases of water did happen but it remained unclear whether it might have contributed to the disaster.

Some residents bluntly accused authorities of a cover-up.

"It always rains here but we've never had this before. A seven-metre tall wave crushed everything," Irina Morgunova told AFP in Krymsk. "That is not rain. But no-one will ever say it out loud."

As they tried to sort out their muddy belongings, Krymsk residents also complained they have been left to their own devices and authorities offered little help.

"It's a catastrophe," said Viktor Voloshin, who arrived in the flood-ravaged town Sunday to help relatives whose house was damaged.

"People need drinking water but there is no drinking water being distributed," he told AFP.

"We have 30-degree weather now, diseases will begin," he added.

Volunteers in Moscow and other cities meanwhile mobilised on Russian social networks and Twitter, sending donations and volunteers to Krymsk to help in the crisis.

Putin said survivors would get new homes while families of victims would receive two million rubles ($60,800) each.

The Kremlin declared a national day of mourning Monday, recommending that all entertainment programming be pulled from state television channels.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP
    Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP

    The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said that the country’s aviation has met international safety standards and is currently being reviewed by the European Union. Members of the EU delegation recently made a courtesy call on CAAP Director General William Hotchkiss III. Beda Badiola, CAAP’s Flight Standards and Inspectorate Service chief, said all air carriers in the country have followed regulations that the agency was able to oversee properly according to standards. “They …

  • Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services
    Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services

    Despite the pronouncement of the leadership of the Philippine National Police that it’s business as usual, some basic services are undeniably affected by the absence of a full-time PNP chief, particularly the issuance of gun permits. The PNP had deferred the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since Dec. 3, a day before the Office of the Ombudsman slapped a six-month suspension on former PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima, who is facing plunder charges. …

  • Expanded Phl-US war games start today
    Expanded Phl-US war games start today

    The Philippines and the United States will kick off today this year’s Balikatan military exercises amid concerns over China’s reclamation activities in disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea. More than 11,000 Filipino and American troops will join the drills to be held simultaneously in different locations until April 30. …

  • Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online
    Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online

    Authorities warned the public yesterday to be more careful in dealing with people they meet online as the “budol-budol” and “dugo-dugo” gangs have expanded their deceptive operations on social media. Senior Inspector Robert Reyes, assistant chief of the Philippine National Police’s Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) investigation section, said online financial fraud is one of the emerging forms of scams in the country. Reyes said scam operators are looking for prospective victims online through …

  • Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term
    Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term

    President Aquino is inclined to name a new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief who can serve beyond the 2016 elections. Speaking to reporters at the Tarlac National High School before the weekend, Aquino said he was bewildered by the amended PNP Act that requires all deputies of the PNP chief to serve or stay at least one year in his post. Among the contenders for PNP chief are Deputy Director General Marcelo Garbo Jr., suspended Chief Superintendent Raul Petrasanta and Director Juanito …

  • ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’
    ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’

    Stronger international action is needed to counter China’s rapid reclamation activities in the West Philippine Sea, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. said yesterday. Belmonte noted that statements of condemnation from global powers on the continued encroachment of China in the disputed waters have been ineffectual. He added that China’s blatant expansion activities are making the problem not just a regional security problem, but a global one. “China is obviously violating our territory in front …

  • MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks
    MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks

    Leaders of the House of Representatives renewed their call yesterday to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) to surrender its fighters allegedly involved in the killing of 44 police commandos in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, leader of the House independent bloc, said the continued refusal of MILF leaders to turn over their men is causing the further erosion of support for the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) in Congress. “I hope the MILF …

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options