Death toll from Typhoon Odette rises to 28 in Cebu

·3 min read

THE death toll in Cebu from Typhoon Odette has risen to 28, from the previous 21, with the number of missing also rising to eight.

In Cebu City, fatalities due to the storm had risen to 13.

Cebu City Councilor Dave Tumulak said this was the latest information collected by the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office from the barangays.

“We received reports that 13 died. But if we base it on the death certificates, then the number of dead is still at seven,” he told SunStar on Saturday, Dec. 18, 2021.

They are still awaiting the death certificates of the remaining victims.

On Friday, a day after Odette slammed into Cebu with maximum winds of 175 kilometers per hour and gusts of up to 240 kilometers per hour, Tumulak had reported that eight persons had died in the city.

However, Tumulak said one person they had initially classified as a fatality due to Odette should not have been included in the list. Norma dela Cerna, 60, of Barangay San Roque, had died before the typhoon arrived.

Of the six fatalities added to the list, only two have been identified so far.

They are Vercede Climaco of Taway, Pit-os, and Maribel Tan of Barangay San Antonio, Cebu City.

Tumulak believes the death toll could rise further once the difficult-to-reach areas become accessible because there may be more fatalities yet to be found.

Lapu-Lapu

In Lapu-Lapu City, Mayor Junard Chan also announced that the death toll had risen to eight, as of 10 p.m. Friday, with another five persons now missing.

At mid-day Friday, Lapu-Lapu had listed six casualties due to Odette.

But by 11 p.m. Friday, Lapu-Lapu had updated its death toll to eight, four of whom were from Barangay Basak, and the other four from Olango Island.

The fatalities in Barangay Basak (back of Saver’s Depot) were identified as Mikayla Babao, 17; Mary Mae Babao, 27; Leo Yagong, 60; and Elena Paquibot, 60.

The fatalities in Olango were Agundio Diong, 78, and Jack (surname not indicated), 42, both of Candagsao; Armando Inoc, 50, of Sitio Tuboran; and Felix Abadano, 77, of Tingo.

Chan said five persons were also missing: a man nicknamed Badidi, from Punta Engaño; Dennis Ading from Ibo; Ronnie Anora, 45, from Baring; and Julie Mar Tamparo and Gleugene Anggo, both from Mactan.

Earlier, Mandaue City also reported seven persons dead, while Talisay City reported three fishermen missing.

Exit

Typhoon Odette has now exited the country, according to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) Saturday, Dec. 18.

Based on Pagasa’s 11 a.m. tropical cyclone bulletin, Odette was now 380 kilometers west northwest of Puerto Princesa City, Palawan.

Despite making multiple landfalls since it entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR), Odette was still maintaining strength, with maximum sustained winds of 155 kilometers per hours (km/h) near the center with gusts of up to 190 km/h.

Even though it has left the PAR, Pagasa said Signal No. 1 has been hoisted over the western portion of Palawan, which includes the towns of San Vicente, Aborlan, Quezon, Rizal, Taytay, El Nido and Puerto Princesa City while Signal No. 3 was also declared at the Kalayaan Islands. (BBT, CTL, JKV)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting