A DECEASED man who had tested positive for Covid-19 led to the lockdown of at least 30 houses in his neighborhood in Purok Kwatro, Barangay Cubacub, Mandaue City.
The family learned about the result only after 50-year-old man’s burial on Aug. 29, 2020, and the deceased’s son later tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019.
Cubacub Barangay Captain Almario Bihag immediately imposed a lockdown on Purok Kwatro.
As the purok is densely populated, Bihag said 2o to 30 houses were locked down and not a single occupant can go out without completing the 14-day quarantine protocol.
Around 200 residents, considered as first and second generation contacts, were traced.
Entise said only the first generation contacts will be swabbed and these are the immediate relatives of the deceased. Of the four family members, the deceased’s eldest son was found positive for Covid-19; he showed no symptoms.
The eldest son’s contacts were also traced, resulting in 11 individuals being subject to swab testing.
As the house of the deceased is not qualified for home isolation, the son was taken to the Mandaue City Central Isolation Unit for quarantine and treatment.
Before the man was rushed to a public hospital in Mandaue City last Aug. 26, had long been ill with tuberculosis, and he had been on a short-course chemotherapy to cure the lung disease, according to lawyer Julius Caesar Entise, head of Mandaue City Government’s contact tracing team.
Entise said the family of the deceased’s family was unaware that the man had been swabbed at the hospital.
Thinking that the man only succumbed to tuberculosis, the family members did not isolate themselves. They continued to interact with their neighbors.
Entise asked medical institutions that conduct swab tests to inform the relatives or direct contacts before or after conducting the tests; they also need to educate them that they need to undergo home quarantine before the results come out, he added.
The result of the swab test on Purok Kwatro resident came out last Aug. 28; however, the contact tracing team informed the family on the following day and after the burial.
Before the man was buried, his family held a wake from Aug. 26 to 28, exposing their other relatives and neighbors to the virus.
Lockdown kits were already distributed to the families on isolation in Purok Kwatro, said Entise. / KFD