Federer targets Djokovic, Nadal's Wimbledon dominance

Roger Federer insists he can still match Pete Sampras's record of seven Wimbledon triumphs despite Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal having developed an iron grip on Grand Slam glory.

Federer is fighting time as well as the unwavering dominance of Djokovic, the defending champion, and Nadal, who have won nine of the last 10 majors between them and contested the last four Grand Slam finals.

World number three Federer, who celebrated the last of his record 16 Grand Slam crowns at the 2010 Australian Open, will be 31 in August.

Sampras was 28 when he won the seventh and last of his Wimbledon titles in 2000.

Adding to Federer's headache is the knowledge that Djokovic is still only 25 while Nadal is 26.

It wasn't long ago that Wimbledon represented Federer's traditional bolt-hole, winning five successive championships between 2003 and 2007, then adding a sixth in 2009.

But even in his London safe haven, the shadow of Nadal has loomed large.

The Spaniard, who has just collected a record seventh French Open title, deposed Federer in a five-set epic in 2008, having been runner-up in the two previous years.

Federer's last triumph in 2009 came when Nadal was sidelined with a knee injury.

In 2010, Tomas Berdych knocked him out in the quarter-finals while in 2011, the Swiss lost his first ever Grand Slam match from two sets to love up when he was bludgeoned to defeat in the last eight by Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Two months later, Djokovic overcame the loss of the first two sets, and saved two match points, to beat Federer in the US Open semi-finals.

The Serb's straight sets win over Federer in the semi-finals at Roland Garros earlier this month only served to darken the Swiss player's mood.

His Wimbledon chances weren't helped by a loss in the Halle final to 34-year-old Tommy Haas.

But Federer, who faces Spanish left-hander Albert Ramos in the first round, believes only a fool would write him off.

"My confidence is very good. I've won many tournaments, so many matches the last year or so that I feel perfect in this regard," Federer said on the eve of his 14th Wimbledon appearance.

"I'm match fit and I'm match tough right now. That's also key going into a Grand Slam. The hunger is big. I don't think I need to elaborate too much on that."

Djokovic heads for Wimbledon with the burden of history now off his shoulders after his bid to become just the third man to hold all four Grand Slam titles at once was shattered by Nadal in Paris.

"You're living to play the final of a Grand Slam, and sometimes you win; sometimes you lose. I believe that there are still many years to come," said Djokovic who faces former world number one and French Open winner Juan Carlos Ferrero in the first round.

Nadal, meanwhile, has played in five of the last six Wimbledon finals -- winning in 2008 and 2010 -- missing the 2009 tournament only because of injury.

After winning a record seventh French Open, the Spaniard suffered a shock Halle quarter-final exit to Philipp Kohlschreiber.

He also remains cautious on his Wimbledon chances.

"I'm very happy the way things have gone since the beginning of the season. But thinking about winning another title at Wimbledon is arrogant and crazy," Nadal said ahead of a Tuesday opener against Brazil's Thomaz Bellucci.

"That's something I cannot think about. I can just think about practice and how to keep preparing."

British hopes of a home champion -- the first since Fred Perry in 1936 -- once again reside with world number four Andy Murray whose build-up has been hampered by a back injury.

Murray, a semi-finalist at Wimbledon for the last three years, looked well below par in a second round loss to Nicolas Mahut at Queen's last week.

There are also two sub-plots at Wimbledon this year.

Just three weeks after the tournament ends, the Olympic Games tennis event gets underway at the All England Club.

By that stage there could also be a change at the top of the rankings.

Djokovic needs to reach the final to ensure that he remains ahead of his rivals.

Federer can retake the number one spot for the first time in three years if he wins the title and Djokovic does not advance beyond the semi-finals.

Meanwhile, Nadal, who lost the world number one ranking to Djokovic after the Wimbledon final last year, can reclaim top spot if he wins the title for a third time and the Serb does not go beyond the quarter-finals.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • MVP on endorsement: Thanks, I’m no politician
    MVP on endorsement: Thanks, I’m no politician

    Businessman Manuel V. Pangilinan is grateful for Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago’s praise and presidential endorsement, but says he is not a politician. In an interview on the sidelines of the launch of the search for The Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) of the Philippines 2015 Wednesday night, Pangilinan dismissed the idea of running for president in the 2016 elections. “I’m not a politician, I’m just an ordinary business person,” he added. Santiago endorsed Pangilinan as a presidential candidate …

  • No Lenten break in operations vs lawless groups – AFP
    No Lenten break in operations vs lawless groups – AFP

    The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is not suspending its offensive against the Abu Sayyaf, New People’s Army (NPA) and other lawless groups during the Holy Week, an official said yesterday. Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc, AFP public affairs office chief, said the AFP leadership is leaving it up to area and division commanders whether to raise the alert status in preparation for the Holy Week. Those deployed in areas where there are ongoing law enforcement operations against terrorist groups …

  • Probe harassment vs human rights lawyer, CA orders AFP
    Probe harassment vs human rights lawyer, CA orders AFP

    The Court of Appeals (CA) has ordered the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to investigate a human rights lawyer’s claim of harassment, including surveillance, by several military officers. In a 22-page decision, the former Special Sixth Division of the appellate court granted the petition for writ of amparo and habeas data of Maria Catherine Dannug-Salucon. The CA ordered the AFP to identify the officers behind the surveillance and file charges against them. The CA ruling said …

  • Envoy to expats: Retire, invest in Phl
    Envoy to expats: Retire, invest in Phl

    Retire and invest in real estate in the Philippines, especially now that the country has made it to the top 10 retirement destinations in the world. This is the message being spread by the Philippine embassy in Washington, with Ambassador Jose Cuisia Jr. leading the refrain in meetings with various Filipino-American communities in the US. Cuisia recently met with Filipino communities in San Diego, California and El Paso, Texas. In his talks, Cuisia said that an affordable cost of living as …

  • PNPA spotlight falls on Ampatuan grandson
    PNPA spotlight falls on Ampatuan grandson

    The stigma of being a namesake of the principal suspect in the 2009 Maguindanao massacre did not prevent Cadet First Class Andal Ampatuan III from entering and graduating from the Philippine National Police Academy (PNPA). Ampatuan III, now with a rank of police inspector, is a grandson of former Maguindanao governor Andal Ampatuan Sr. The younger Ampatuan was among the 246 graduates of the PNPA “Lakandula” Class of 2015. Ampatuan III’s mother is Bai Rebecca Ampatuan, a daughter of the …

  • Philippines says China rushing construction in disputed sea
    Philippines says China rushing construction in disputed sea

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippines' top diplomat said Thursday that China has been rushing construction projects, including massive land reclamation, in the disputed South China Sea in hopes of forestalling any legal moves against its vast territorial claims. …

  • Aquino takes responsibility for bungled mission in Philippines, but no apology
    Aquino takes responsibility for bungled mission in Philippines, but no apology

    Philippine President Benigno Aquino on Thursday took responsibility for a bungled security operation in January that left 44 police commandos dead, but offered no public apology for the clash that has become his biggest political crisis in years. Since the secret mission, Aquino's approval and trust ratings have plunged to their lowest level in five years, and a peace process with the country's largest Muslim rebel group has stalled. "To every Filipino who has felt failure or has been hurt …

  • Marshall rolls out new headphone, speaker lines in PHL

    Established music brand Marshall is rolling out new headphone and speaker lines in the Philippine market. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options