Defying fines and raids, Russians to march against Putin

Russian President Vladimir Putin's opponents vowed to defy a wave of police raids and the threat of fines the size of their annual salaries to join a monthly march Tuesday against his 12-year rule.

The so-called March of Millions will be the first since bloody battles broke out between riot police and the mostly young crowd during a Moscow event held on the eve of Putin's May 7 swearing in for an historic third term.

Scenes of police clubs swinging against the backdrop of the Kremlin drew a sharp rebuke from Western governments and dealt a bruising political blow to Putin on the very first day of his return from a four-year stint as premier.

The Kremlin swiftly responded with the kind of show of force that characterised much of Putin's 2000-2008 presidential mandate.

It used its slim parliamentary majority to ram through legislation raising protest penalties to 300,000 rubles ($9,000) -- more than for any other administrative offence and about the size of Russians' average annual pay.

This move signalled the determination of Putin, an ex-KGB spy, to hold on to power as tightly as he had before.

Moscow police in the meantime foiled a bid by the nascent movement to keep its momentum going with Occupy-style protests by conducting repeated night-time raids against any camps they set up.

The fury of protesters at the new legislation and the growing police resolve left many of the opposition's more moderate supports worried that this volatile mix would give the once-peaceful movement a violent and more radical edge.

But even Putin's own human rights adviser sounded the alarm on Monday when police armed with assault rifles conducted a series of early-morning raids on the homes of the protests' most prominent leaders.

"I think that from the standpoint of social harmony, modernisation and political reforms, this is the very worst that could have happened," Kremlin rights adviser Mikhail Fedotov observed.

US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters that Washington "is deeply concerned by the apparent harassment of Russian political opposition figures on the eve of the planned demonstrations" on Tuesday.

Officers beat down the doors of the increasingly popular anti-corruption blogger Alexei Navalny as well as media celebrity Ksenya Sobchak, a more recent recruit to the ranks of Putin's critics.

Others targetted in Monday's raids included Sergei Udaltsov -- an outspoken ultra-leftist who stages periodic hunger strikes to protest his repeated arrests -- and the far more moderate democracy campaigner Ilya Yashin.

Russia's powerful Investigative Committee said a total of 10 raids were conducted as part of a probe into last month's demonstration.

And crucially, all those raided will be required to appear for questioning on Tuesday instead of leading the anti-Putin march.

They face up to 10 years in jail if charged and convicted of organising mass unrest.

"This recalls 1937," campaigner Valery Borshchyov said, a reference to the most infamous year of Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin's repression.

"In those days, they also made the arrests at night, in secret, when people were not working," he told Interfax.

Ex-finance chief Alexei Kudrin -- a personal friend of Putin who quit last year after disputing his planned job swap with current Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev -- said the raids showed "radicals gaining strength" in the Kremlin.

Tuesday's march will be held on the patriotic Russia Day holiday marking the country's 1990 declaration of independence from Soviet rule.

Moscow police said they were sending 12,000 riot officers and interior ministry troops onto the streets of the capital to keep order there.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • FBI confirms death of top militant in bloody Philippine raid
    FBI confirms death of top militant in bloody Philippine raid

    The FBI confirmed on Thursday that a senior Malaysian militant with a $5-million reward on his head was killed in a January raid in the Philippines that also left 44 police commandos dead. The confirmation provides some validation for the botched raid that plunged President Benigno Aquino's administration into crisis and jeopardised efforts to end a decades-long Muslim separatist insurgency. "After a thorough review of forensic data and information obtained from our Philippine law enforcement …

  • Micronesians appeal for help after devastating typhoon
    Micronesians appeal for help after devastating typhoon

    Residents in storm wrecked areas of Micronesia appealed for help on Thursday as a clean-up began on the worst affected islands after Super Typhoon Maysak swept through the region on its way towards the Philippines. "We can do with all the help we can get," Courtney Stinnett at the Truk Stop Hotel dive shop on the main island of Weno in Chuuk state told AFP. A state of emergency has been declared in Chuuk, the largest region in the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) where five people were …

  • Super typhoon weakens after entering Philippines

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — A super typhoon blamed for the deaths of at least four people on islands in the western Pacific Ocean has weakened after reaching Philippine waters and is expected to further lose strength as it approaches the country's northeastern coast, officials said Thursday. …

  • From Space, Typhoon Maysak's Eye Looks Like a Black Hole (Photo)
    From Space, Typhoon Maysak's Eye Looks Like a Black Hole (Photo)

    It seemed like a black hole from a Sci-Fi movie," NASA astronaut Terry Virts wrote on Twitter. Virts and his fellow astronauts have been posting pictures of the typhoon, which is expected to hit the Philippines this weekend if it doesn't change course. "Commands respect even from space," wrote Samantha Cristoforetti, an Italian astronaut with the European Space Agency who launched into space with Virts in November. As of 11 a.m. EdT today (1500 GMT), the super typhoon was 223 miles (359 km) …

  • Muslim group calls for universal peace
    Muslim group calls for universal peace

    As predominantly Catholic Philippines and the rest of the Christian world observe the Holy Week, peace advocates like the Young Muslim Professionals Network (YMPN) are appealing to Filipinos of various creeds and persuasion to embrace the universal message of kindness, love and peace. The group issued the call as peace negotiations between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front teeter due to the Mamasapano incident where members of the rebel group killed 44 police commandos on a …

  • Ex-WB exec pushes BBL passage
    Ex-WB exec pushes BBL passage

    A former World Bank official has warned of dire consequences for the Philippines if the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) is not passed into law. Nigel Roberts, former director on conflict, security and development, said that more conflict could occur without the BBL. “It takes about 15 years to get back to pre-conflict GDP growth rates, and 20 years for trade to recover,” Roberts said in his blog at the World Bank website. The World Bank estimated that economic losses amounted to $10 …

  • Despite typhoon, summer is here
    Despite typhoon, summer is here

    Super Typhoon Chedeng roared toward Luzon as the weather bureau announced the official start of summer in the country yesterday. The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) announced yesterday the official start of the dry or summer season in the country due to the termination of the cold northeast monsoon. “The general public is advised to take precautionary measures to minimize heat stress and take note of the need in optimizing the daily use of …

  • Noy told: Just answer the questions
    Noy told: Just answer the questions

    Just answer the 20 questions. The Makabayan bloc of seven party-list representatives made this appeal to President Aquino yesterday after his spokesman claimed the Chief Executive has already answered most of the questions posed by the militant lawmakers regarding the Mamasapano incident. For instance, he said the President has not yet explained why he allowed then suspended Philippine National Police chief Director General Alan Purisima to take the lead in Oplan Exodus or the mission to …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options