OF THE 286 persons who fell ill with dengue fever in Cebu City from Jan. 1, 2020 to Feb. 1, two have died, a local health official disclosed on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020.
Cebu City Health Officer Daisy Villa told reporters despite the fewer dengue cases reported for the first five weeks of the year, the presence of two fatalities makes it more alarming.
“This is alarming because the fatality rate is high,” Villa said.
Villa said the fatality rate this year increased to .97 percent compared to .61 percent last year.
In the same period last year, the City Health Department (CHD) recorded around 465 dengue cases and three deaths.
The two fatalities this year came from Barangays Taptap and Inayawan.
She explained having fatalities means the City has to monitor the cases for the rest of the year because it reflects the effectiveness of the treatments done.
She said one of the two fatalities this year already had a history of dengue.
Villa said Barangay Guadalupe and Labangon had the most number of dengue cases from Jan. 1 to Feb. 1, reporting 18 cases each while Talamban had 15 cases, Tisa had 12 cases, Lahug had 11 and Mambaling had 10.
Villa said the decrease in the number of dengue cases is attributed to measures taken by their dengue task force which includes an intensified information drive conducted in the various barangays and misting on possible mosquito breeding sites.
She urged the public to practice the “four o’ clock habit” or destroying possible mosquito breeding places every 4 p.m. in the neighborhood.
She added that mosquitoes can have breeding sites anywhere, including inside flower vases, air conditioning units and plastics. (JJL)