DepEd Slates Proficiency Tests For Elementary, High School Students, Teachers

MANILA, Philippines --- The Department of Education has scheduled nationwide tests to determine the readiness of elementary and high school students to go the next level of education and to determine the proficiency of teachers in English, Science and Mathematics.

The National Education and Testing Research Center (NETRC) will administer the National Achievement Tests (NAT) nationwide in public and private schools in March. The NAT for fourth year high school students will be held on March 6, for Grade 3 students in public and Madrasah schools on March 12, and for Grade VI pupils on March 13, the DepEd said.

Education Secretary Armin Luistro said that along with the NAT, the Test of English Proficiency for Teachers (TEPT) and Process Skills Test (PST) in Science and Mathematics will also be held.

Luistro said that the NAT for Grade 6 students will determine their ''Certificate of Rating'' per subject area which will ''reflect the examinee's readiness for high school.''

''Only private elementary and secondary schools with permit to operate from DepEd shall be included in the conduct of the test,'' he said.

The mandatory inclusion of COR in the NAT was ordered by Luistro last year ''to provide the school with the sufficient entry data of each learner particularly on strengths and weaknesses in terms of competencies and to determine his or her readiness to tackle high school academic works.''

Luistro said that the NETRC will conduct a National Conference on the Standardized Administration of the NAT; PEPT; and PST for the ''purposes of updating information and resolving issues/concerns on testing.''

The topics to be discussed in the conference will include proper conduct/ administration of the test; standard procedure in test administration; security of test materials, delivery and retrieval scheme; allocation of test materials; information derived from the individual COR; utilization/dissemination of findings/implications of test results and financial matters relative to test administration.

Luistro said conference will be participated by Regional Testing Coordinators (RTC); Distrcit Testing Coordinators (DTS) and Private School Supervisors (PSS).

For the TEPT-PST, Luistro said that the DTCs are required to bring the actual number of Grade 3 and Grade 4 public school teachers with permanent positions in their respective regions.

The TEPT-PST will be administered by cluster starting on February 3 and then on all Sundays of March, April and May 2013. The NETRC will provide the clustering of regions and will be announced through an Advisory.

The DTC will serve as the chief examiner while the education supervisors and elementary school principals as room examiners. The teachers will be given one day service credit for their participation.

Last school year, Luistro ordered changes in the conduct of NAT in preparation for future enhancement of the basic education curriculum. Unlike in the previous year, NAT will be taken by fourth year high school students both in public and private schools instead of second year high school students.

Luistro said that the changes in the examinations aim to give DepEd ''feedback on the students' knowledge gain after the ten-year basic education cycle and the result will also be used as input for the K to 12 program.''

The NAT is usually given towards the end of each school year to gauge the academic performance in key subjects of elementary and secondary students in both public and private schools.

To ensure the smooth conduct of NAT and avoid alleged cases of cheating, Luistro urged local education stakeholders such as the local government units, civic groups and non-government organizations to be part of the NAT monitoring group.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. US Secretary of State John Kerry said Washington will never be deterred by "acts of violence" as the ambassador was rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. In a brief …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Ohio mom, boyfriend guilty; child emailed teacher for help

    PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (AP) — A woman and her boyfriend pleaded guilty to raping her young children and were sentenced to prison on Wednesday, a year after one of her daughters emailed a teacher for help and said she and her siblings were being chained to their beds, deprived of food and sexually assaulted. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options