Gun held to woman's head by robber in chilling shop raid CCTV footage

CCTV footage shows the shocking moment an armed robber held a gun to a female customer's head before fleeing the shop with cigarettes and cash.

Robert Childerley, 26, grabbed the terrified woman in a headlock and pressed the handgun to her temple as he demanded cash from the shopkeeper at Nisa Local in Derbyshire last year.

Police released the footage after Childerley and two accomplices were jailed for more than 24 years for three armed raids.

Childerley and Callum Raworth, 25, burst into the shop in Littlemoor Lane, Newton, at 6am on 21 November.

They threatened the shopkeeper and the female customer with a large axe and a small black handgun that Childerley pointed at both of them.

Read more: Police hunt thieves who stole 130,000 bees from a chimney using a hoover

(From l-r) Robert Childerley, 26, Callum Raworth, 25, and Luke Walters, 30. (Police)

Childerley then barged his way behind the counter and grabbed fistfuls of cash from the till before demanding the safe to be opened.

The robbers gave up when they could not get to the safe and fled with only £50 in notes and £1,755 worth of cigarettes.

Just 20 minutes later the pair struck again when they held up Skegby Mini Market in Forest Road in Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, but the store manager pressed the panic button and asked his wife to call the police.

Childerley and Raworth fled the store empty-handed.

On November 23, Childerley and Luke Walters, 30, raided The Woodend Inn pub in Huthwaite while posing as delivery men.

The pair threatened the cleaners with a gun before stealing two bottles of alcohol and a charity box with £40 inside.

Officers arrested the trio hours later after they found fingerprints and tracked several stolen items to their addresses.

Read more: Pubs 'should be shut down' if they are linked to small coronavirus outbreaks

Robert Childerley, 26, grabbed the terrified woman in a headlock. (SWNS)

All three admitted armed robberies when they appeared at Nottingham Crown Court.

Childerley, of no fixed address, was jailed for 13 years.

Raworth, of Huthwaite, Nottinghamshire, admitted two armed robberies and was jailed for six years and eight months.

Walters, also of Huthwaite, pleaded guilty to the pub robbery and was sentenced to four years and eight months in prison.

Detective Sergeant Mark Shaw, who led the investigation, said: “I'm pleased for the victims who have been brilliant throughout and supported the police during a lengthy process.

“It must have been a terrifying experience for the victims to have had firearms pointed at their heads, so we hope the lengthy sentences given give some comfort.”