Di Matteo - Chelsea weren't lucky winners

Roberto Di Matteo insists Chelsea don't deserve to be remembered as lucky winners of the Champions League.

Four months after being crowned kings of Europe for the first time, Chelsea start the defence of their title against Italian champions Juventus at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

But rather than focus on the challenges Chelsea face as they seek to become the first club to win the tournament in successive seasons during the Champions League era, Blues boss Di Matteo felt obliged to defend his team from claims they are the luckiest side ever to win the trophy.

After fighting back from a 3-1 first leg deficit to defeat Napoli in the second round, Chelsea edged past Benfica in the quarter-finals and then shocked Barcelona in the last four.

It was that victory over Barca which prompted the first jibes about lucky Chelsea as the Blues survived the dismissal of John Terry and a missed penalty from Lionel Messi to go through.

When Didier Drogba headed a late equaliser to force extra-time in the final against Bayern Munich and then converted the winning penalty in the shoot-out, the critics of Chelsea's defensive style again insisted luck had been the defining factor in the team's success.

But Di Matteo, who earned the manager's job on a permanent basis on the back of Chelsea's fairytale run, is adamant the triumph was a reward for the desire and discipline shown by his players.

"They said the same about many other managers when they won," Di Matteo said at Tuesday's pre-match press conference.

"You need to deserve everything you get, and I think we worked very hard for it. We prepared ourselves very well against our opposition.

"It can't just be that (luck). You might need, and you will need, a portion of luck during a competition like this.

"But every team has it to be able to achieve the final target to win it. Luck is a minor part of it."

However, Chelsea's Nigeria midfielder John Obi Mikel took the opposite view to his manager and conceded his team had enjoyed a slice or two of good fortune en route to their victory in Munich.

"We worked very hard for what we achieved last season. But, at the same time, you need luck in everything you do," Mikel said.

"So, yeah, we were kind of lucky but, this season, it's a different story altogether.

"We brought in new players that are going to help us in this campaign. And hopefully we can go far in this tournament and get to the final again."

With one European title secured, Chelsea's players are hungry for more according to Mikel, who believes Di Matteo's pre-season spending spree, which saw Eden Hazard, Oscar, Victor Moses and Cesar Azpilicueta arrive in west London, was a clear statement of intent to their rivals for the trophy.

"You're going to hear that Real Madrid and Barcelona are the favourites," he said. "But I think that's what happened last season when we played Barcelona.

"I think everyone wrote us off even before the game, but we showed how much the Champions League meant to us and how much we wanted to win it.

"We're still hungry, there are still players in that dressing room that still want to retain this trophy.

"We want to build on it, we don't want to stop, and hopefully we can build on it this season, and tomorrow is the start of it.

"So we have to make sure that we go out there and prove ourselves and make sure we want to go far in this tournament."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options