DOE Accepts Oil, Gas Bids

MANILA, Philippines - The Department of Energy has accepted bids for five oil and gas exploration contracts out of the 16 bids from local and international firms for the 15 oil and gas blocks located between the western coast and the South China Sea.

Energy Undersecretary Jay Layug said $7.5 billion dollars in investments are expected for 15 energy contracts being offered.

He said the accepted bids will be evaluated within 100 workings days and contracts will be awarded within the year. Originally, 38 companies were prequalified. Bidding was opened Friday for 12 contracts. Only nine of 16 bids met requirements for five of the exploration blocks.

Layug said three blocks northwest of Palawan Island up for bidding on July 31 are ''the most prospective'' and more bids are expected for those.

Earlier, the DoE said that its latest Philippine Energy Contracting Round, PECR 4, is the most successful so far as it received 16 bids from local and international firms for the 15 oil and gas blocks on the table.

''We are very happy with the results of the bidding. Today we received 16 bids. This is even more than what we received in previous PECRs which totaled 12 bids. This is the most succesful PECR,'' said Layug.

He noted though that, ''at the end of the day, the measure of success is whether we can find oil and gas.''

Layug said PECR 1 held in 2003 offerd 50 blocks but only one bidder submitted. PECR 2 offered four blocks and got four bids while PECR 3 offered 9 blocks and generated 7 bids.

However, he said that, of the 16 bids received in PECR 4, only 9 were accepted while 7 were rejected due to non-compliance with the requirements set under the PECR.

Four areas did not receive any bid. These areas are Area 6 in Mindoro Cuyo, Area 8 in East Palawan, Area 9 in East Palawan and Area 13 in East Palawan. Layug said these areas will be reviewed and may be bidded out again in the next contracting round.

Area 1 in Cagayan received three bids from Black Swan Resources, Frontier Oil Co. and Planet Gas Ltd. but the three companies failed to fully comply with the requirements of the department.

Area 2 in Central Luzon received a bid from only one bidder, Clean Rock Renewable Energy Resources, but it was also rejected for non-compliance.

Area 7 in Mindoro Cuyo received a bid from NorAsian Energy Philippines Inc., the local unit of Australian firm Otto Energy Ltd., but its bid was also rejected.

Area 10 in East Palawan drew interested from Forum Pacific Inc., whose bid was accepted, while Area 11 in Cotabato received two bids from Forum Pacific and Helios Mining and Energy who were both accepted.

Area 12 also in Cotabato received a bid from three companies of which two were accepted. Dil Moro Energy Corp. and Min Energy Pty. Ltd's bids were accepted while Monte Oro Resources Energy Inc.'s bid was rejected.

Area 14 in East Palawan got a bid from LOYZ Oil Pte. Ltd. and it was accepted.

Area 15 in the Sulu Sea drew the most bids of which the department rejected the bid of NorAsian while three were accepted. These are the bids of Philodrill Corporation and Philex Petroleum Corporation; Mitra Energy Ltd. (with Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Co. and Tap Oil) and Forum Pacific. (AP, James A. Loyola)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack
    US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was slashed on his face and arm in Seoul on Thursday by a lone, blade-wielding activist opposed to ongoing US-Korean military drills. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which left the ambassador bleeding profusely from a deep wound on his right cheek and saw him rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable. Witnesses described how a man with a blade concealed in his right hand had lunged across a table at Lippert …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options