DOH confirms another polio case in PH

Robie de Guzman

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) on Monday said it has recorded another case of polio in the country.

The DOH said the new case is from Mindanao – a nine-year old girl from Basilan who has not received any vaccine for polio.

The department said samples from the girl were sent to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine and the National Institute of Infectious Diseases in Japan. Results of the test came out positive for poliovirus.

The confirmation of the new case brings the total number of confirmed polio cases this year to eight.

Last week, the DOH confirmed three cases of polio in children under five years old from Mindanao.

In September, the department confirmed the re-emergence of the disease in the Philippines 19 years after it was declared polio-free by the World Health Organization.

The DOH said it is currently coordinating with the Ministry of Health of the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) to maximize the immunization coverage and intensify polio vaccination efforts in Basilan.

Health workers are also set to go house-to-house to ensure that all children under five years of age are vaccinated. Health centers, government hospitals, fixed vaccination posts in barangays malls, terminals, and fast food chains, among others, will also be providing vaccination.

DOH likewise reminded parents and caregivers to participate in the next round vaccination against polio from November 25 to December 7 in the National Capital Region and the whole of Mindanao.

All children under five years of age, regardless of immunization status, will receive a dose of the oral polio vaccine during the campaign.

“I urge all parents and caregivers of children under five years old to take part in the Sabayang Patak Kontra Polio campaign and have their children vaccinated by our health workers,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said.

The post DOH confirms another polio case in PH appeared first on UNTV News.