DOH tallies higher firecracker injuries in CV; Cebu cops say New Year fete ‘peaceful’

A TOTAL of 35 people were reported hurt due to firecracker-related injuries, while two others were wounded due to stray bullets during the Christmas and New Year revelries in Central Visayas.

Cebu Province topped the list with 16 injuries, followed by Lapu-Lapu City with five, Bohol and Cebu City with four each, and Siquijor with two, the Department of Health-Central Visayas (DOH 7) said in a report it issued on New Year’s Day, Jan. 1, 2023.

The figures were higher than the 24 firecracker-related injuries recorded in January last year.

According to the DOH 7’s latest data, eight of the firecracker-related incidents were caused by a lantaka or bamboo cannon. The other incidents involved the use of skyrocket (kwitis) and triangle with four cases each, and hotdog, boga and Judas’ Belt with two cases each.

The common body parts injured were the hands and eyes, head and legs, thigh and neck, forearm and arm, abdomen and chest, and the feet.

Meanwhile, the region also logged two stray bullet incidents during the last holiday celebration.

The first victim was a 15-year-old male from Barangay Basak in Lapu-Lapu City.

He sustained a small wound in the left arm. He was sent home after treatment.

The other victim was from Cebu Province, but the victim’s specific address was not mentioned by the DOH.

The agency said it is set to release further information on the stray bullet incidents as soon as it is available.

Peaceful

Despite reports of firecracker-related injuries and stray bulllet incidents, police officials in Cebu Province and Cebu City said the New Year celebration was “generally peaceful” as no major incidents were recorded at that time.

In Cebu City, local police recorded only four people who got hurt due to firecracker-related injuries, while three were from the province. (HIC, AYB / TPT)