Dondon: Barangay captains to help with road clearing

·4 min read

CEBU City Vice Mayor Donaldo “Dondon” Hontiveros has roped in the barangay captains to help speed up road clearing efforts of the city, whose slow progress has stymied the city’s recovery from Typhoon Odette.

Hontiveros was designated by Mayor Michael Rama last Monday, Dec. 27, 2021, to oversee the clearing operations in Cebu City after the onslaught of Typhoon Odette (Rai).

Hontiveros told SunStar Tuesday that he had already coordinated with Councilors Jerry Guardo and Eduardo Rama for the city’s north and south districts.

The vice mayor added that the city government has also discussed with the barangay captains the utilization of their resources to collect the garbage in their areas of responsibility.

“I hope in the next few days, madali na (things will go faster) because we are working with the resources that we have right now,” said Hontiveros.

According to Hontiveros, the City is also checking for a new garbage collection system to hasten the clearing of debris and other obstructions caused by the typhoon.

Hontiveros said the City plans to deploy personnel to make sure that residents will not litter the areas already cleared of debris.

These enforcers will issue citation tickets to individuals caught throwing their garbage, he said.

Slow road clearing has hampered the restoration of power, water supply and telecommunication services in Cebu as utility personnel cannot rehabilitate facilities they cannot approach due to debris.

Utilities update

Twelve days after Odette caused a province-wide blackout, Visayan Electric, which covers four cities and four towns in Metro Cebu, reported that as of noon Tuesday, it had energized just 25 percent or 118,734 of its 474,182 affected customers, and restored 57.5 percent or 313 of the 544 power line segments in its franchise area.

As for water services, as of 2 p.m. Tuesday, the Metropolitan Cebu Water District said it had restored water service to 62.2 percent of its franchise area.

For telecom services, Globe Telecom said Tuesday that it had restored mobile services in 16 of Cebu’s 44 towns and one of Cebu’s nine cities.

The 17 towns are Bantayan, Borbon, Catmon, Compostela, Daanbantayan, Madridejos, Medellin, Pilar, Poro, San Remigio, Santa Fe, Sogod, Tabogon, Tabuelan, Tuburan and Tudela. It has also restored mobile services in Bogo City, “bringing total restoration in the province to over 60 percent,” Globe said.

As of 4 p.m. Monday, PLDT and Smart Communications said they had fully restored cell sites in Asturias, Bantayan Island, Daanbantayan, Medellin, San Remigio and Tabuelan in northwestern Cebu; Bogo City, and Borbon, Catmon, Sogod and Tabogon towns in northeastern Cebu; Aloguinsan and Pinamungajan in the midwest; Alcoy and Santander in the southeast; and Alcantara, Barili and Malabuyoc in the southwest.

Cell sites had been partially restored in the metropolitan cities of Cebu, Lapu-Lapu, Mandaue and Talisay; Tuburan (northwest Cebu); Carmen, Compostela, Consolacion, Danao City, Liloan (northeast); Balamban and Toledo City (midwest); Argao, Boljoon, Carcar City, Dalaguete, Minglanilla, Naga City, Oslob, San Fernando and Sibonga (southeast); and Alegria, Badian, Dumanjug, Ginatilan, Moalboal, Ronda and Samboan (southwest).

Tumulak’s efforts

Meanwhile, Councilor Dave Tumulak urged the public to assist the Cebu City government in the clearing efforts of the debris caused by Typhoon Odette.

Tumulak told SunStar Tuesday that residents can help the government, especially in the interior portions of the city that are not easily accessible to garbage trucks.

Tumulak is chairman of the Committee on Disaster Risk Reduction, Safety, and Climate Change Adaptation. He is also running for mayor in the 2022 elections.

The councilor declined to comment on how the city is responding to the effects of the typhoon.

“I will not comment on that because it might get politicized,” said Tumulak.

Tumulak said before the typhoon, he had assembled a group of civilian volunteers to conduct immediate clearing operations.

Tumulak added that he has already distributed rice, noodles and drinking water to over 5,000 families in the city that were donated by his friends and other private individuals.

The councilor distributed the assistance to residents in Barangays Inayawan, Quiot, Basak-Pardo, Mambaling and Calamba.

Tumulak said more will be distributed since his friends from Yokohama, Japan have pledged to donate food packs for the victims of the typhoon. (IRT, CTL)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting