DOTr-TWG to recommend discussion on Angkas foreign ownership issue

The Technical Working Group of the Department of Transportation (DOTr-TWG) wants to recommend in Congress a discussion on Angkas’ foreign ownership issue.

The issue stemmed from the DOTr-TWG discovering that ride-hailing Angkas is “99.9 percent” owned by a Singaporean national.

DOTr-TWG Group Consultant Alberto Suansing said based on the documents submitted by Angkas in the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) an Angeline Tham owns 99.98% shares of the company.

On UNTV’s Huntahang Ligal, Suansing said the law prohibits foreigners from owning a transportation business in the Philippines.

“Singaporean iyan, hindi pwede (She is a Singaporean so it is not allowed). Sa transportasyon una (In transportation first is) citizenship, financial, capability and public need,he said.

Atty. George Garcia said there are precautions needed for the public’s safety.

“Kasi tatandaan natin life ang involved dito, aba’y mamaya foreign citizen iyan bigla nalang mawala, (Because we have to remember life is involved. We may never know, a foreign citizen might immediately leave the country),” Garcia said.

Angkas chief transport advocate George Royeca already defended that he owns 60% of the company while the remaining 40% is divided into five others including Tham.

“Non-compliance with the nationality requirement, we know. So that has been rectified already,” he said.—AAC (with reports from Joan Nano)

The post DOTr-TWG to recommend discussion on Angkas foreign ownership issue appeared first on UNTV News.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting