The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has revoked the license of the driver who ran over a fallen mall guard in Mandaluyong City last week after he failed to appear in front of authorities based on a show-cause order issued against him.
The driver figured in a shocking hit-and-run incident that was caught on video where he drove a white SUV over a 31-year-old guard named Christian Joseph Florande, who was directing traffic at the intersection of Julia Vargas Avenue and St. Francis Street when he attempted to stop the driver’s car to give way to other vehicles as the car was occupying the junction.
Based on LTO records, the driver, identified as Jose Antonio Sanvicente, had also been charged with reckless driving in 2010, 2015, and 2016.
Along with revoking his driver’s license, Sanvincente is also “perpetually disqualified from securing a driver’s license and driving a motor vehicle.”
While his license may have been revoked, Sanvincente has not yet been arrested on criminal charges. Lieutenant General Vicente Danao, acting chief of the Philippines National Police (PHP) issued a challenge to him to surrender first.
“I challenge you, Mr. Sanvicente. You don’t want to surrender? I will just tell you one thing — perhaps you are an addict? Why don’t you want to surrender? No person in his right senses would do that. You bumped into a person, and instead of stopping you even ran him over. What kind of mind do you have?” Danao said.
"HINTAYIN MONG LUMABAS ANG WARRANT MO"
Ito ang hamon ni PNP OIC P/Lt. Gen. Vicente Danao, Jr. kay Jose Antonio Sanvicente — ang driver ng SUV na nakabundol at sumagasa sa isang security guard sa isang mall sa Mandaluyong City, June 5.
WATCH: https://t.co/ehHOp4Roqc pic.twitter.com/1y19HQdeoJ
— News5 (@News5PH) June 13, 2022
“Remember, the PNP already filed a case against you… just wait for your arrest warrant to come out,” he added.
Netizens are questioning why the police have not already proceeded with serving the warrant rather than wasting time with threats.
Parang mabagal ata? Nasulit ang due process di gaya sa ordinaryong tao, dampot at kinuwelyuhan agad. Wala ng pagbabasa ng Miranda rights.
Pero sa kasong ito… mmm you gave the suspect all the chance to prepare an alibi & saved from humiliation. Patas talaga ang justice system.
— NasKT (@godfatherJK5) June 13, 2022
More than 1 week has passed since the horrible incident, the SUV owner/driver up to now is a “no show”. Human life has been severely damaged & quality of life will be affected, surprisingly warrant of arrest hasn’t been served. Justice where art thou?
— Ness (@ness_fajardo) June 13, 2022
Puro hamon at yabang ang PNP at LTO wala namang mga ginagawa. Mga duwag, puro salita wala namang magawa. Dapat nyan nakakulong na yung driver man lang. Untouchable eh. Bakit?
— GoldenGirl (@Favored234) June 13, 2022
Others pointed out that police seem to mete out penalties quicker to perpetrators with less privilege.
“PNP and LTO are all talk but no action. They’re all cowards. The driver should have already been put behind bars. He seems to be untouchable. Why?” one user said.
That said, the PNP assured the public that they were not giving the driver any special treatment.
The suspect remains at large.