OPERATIONS at the Bayanihan Cebu Sacred Heart School (SHS) Field Center located inside the old Sacred Heart School campus on Gen. Maxilom Ave. in Cebu City have been temporarily suspended since Thursday, Oct. 1, 2020.
Dr. Jaime Bernadas, Department of Health (DOH) 7 director, said the DOH 7 and its partners have decided to taper down the facility’s operations because there are no more coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) patients admitted in its infirmary.
“The IEC (Bayanihan Cebu IEC Field Center located at the International Eucharistic Congress Convention Center) will stay on and operate. The SHS will just be on stand by until we see Covid gone,” Bernadas told SunStar Cebu in a text message.
The Bayanihan Cebu SHS Field Center started accepting patients in the first week of May.
As of Friday, Oct. 2, all the 48 beds in the SHS were empty, while only 11 of the 130 beds at the isolation facility in the IEC are in use.
To date, 99 Covid-19 patients have recovered from the SHS facility and 170 from the IEC.
A total of 81 patients are admitted at the Normal Oasis for Adaptation Home isolation facility at the South Road Properties, while the Cebu City Quarantine Center at the North Reclamation Area is being renovated so it can cater to critical patients.
Bernadas said the team of doctors and nurses at the SHS will be reassigned to other isolation areas. A minimal number of maintenance and security personnel will remain at the SHS facility.
He said all other existing community isolation units are still operational, but even those only accommodate a few patients.
In a separate interview, Dr. Mary Jean Loreche, DOH 7 spokesperson, said the region’s performance in the management of Covid-19 cases was “very good” last month.
She said the region’s combined critical care utilization rate (which measures the number of beds and mechanical ventilators designated for Covid-19 patients that are in use in a certain period) was only 15.3 percent as of Sept. 30, leaving 84.7 percent of the total bed allocation still available.
The region’s recovery rate, as of Sept. 28, was also around 89 percent.
The total number of active cases in the region continues to drop. As of Friday, Oct. 2, only 1,292 of the 21,066 Covid-19 cases remained active. The rest have recovered with a death toll of 1,284.
Meanwhile, Bernadas said the isolation and dormitory facilities for Covid-19 patients and medical frontliners that were built by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7 will soon be open.
He said these will eventually become permanent isolation facilities as the region navigates further from the Covid-19 pandemic.
The DPWH 7 had targeted to turn over 11 isolation, dormitory and quarantine facilities worth P294 million by Oct. 16 or 17.
Faustino dela Cruz, Jr., chief of the agency’s maintenance division, said the facilities are 95 to 100 percent complete. (WBS)