Duterte declines role as Marcos's drug czar

·1 min read
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte and President-elect Ferdinand
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte and President-elect Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. pose for pictures during the oathtaking of Sara Duterte as the next Vice President on June 19, 2022 in Davao, Philippines. (Photo by Ezra Acayan/Getty Images)

Outgoing president Rodrigo Duterte has turned down the offer of the dictator’s son President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. for him to become his drug czar, according to acting presidential spokesman Martin Andanar.

“The last offer that I saw was to head, to become the drug czar. Pero tinanggihan niya na iyon eh (But he has already declined),” Andanar said on Wednesday (June 22).

Last month, Marcos Jr. entertained the idea of Duterte taking on the post “if he wants to.” This comes after the latter expressed how the fight against drugs had to continue.

Acting Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Michel Kristian Ablan previously said that the president was very much looking forward to his retirement.

“Now, whether President Duterte will accept that [drug czar position], that is up to him. As far as we know, the President is looking forward to his retirement,” Ablan said in a mix of English and Filipino.

In February, the outgoing president mentioned that he was already packing his belongings in Malacañang and was only waiting for the takeover of the next president.

Mark Ernest Famatigan is a news writer who focuses on Philippine politics. He is an advocate for press freedom and regularly follows developments in the Philippine economy. The views expressed are his own.

Watch more videos on Yahoo:

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting