Duterte places Central Visayas, 5 other regions hit by Typhoon Odette under state of calamity

·2 min read

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte declared on Tuesday, Dec. 21, 2021 a State of Calamity in at least six regions severely affected by Typhoon Odette (international name: Rai).

In Proclamation 1267 which he signed Tuesday, Duterte said Mimaropa, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao and Caraga will be under a state of calamity for one year effective immediately.

Duterte announced the declaration during his Talk to the People Address Tuesday night. It was reiterated during a press briefing Wednesday morning, Dec. 22, by Cabinet Secretary and acting presidential spokesperson Karlo Nograles.

Nograles said it was the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) which recommended the State of Calamity declaration after seeing the massive devastation caused by Typhoon Odette in those six regions.

He said the declaration will hasten the rescue, relief and rehabilitation efforts of the government and the private sector, including any international humanitarian assistance, in the affected areas.

It will also be an effective mechanism to control the prices of goods and commodities in the areas badly affected by Odette, and “afford the national and local government units (LGUs) ample latitude to utilize appropriate funds for rescue relief, and rehabilitation and continuation of basic services,” Nograles said.

He said Duterte has directed all departments and government agencies to execute the rescue, relief and rehabilitation in the areas affected by the typhoon.

The concerned agencies were also directed to coordinate with and provide or augment the basic services of the affected LGUs.

Duterte, in the same proclamation, also ordered law enforcement units, with support of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, to undertake all necessary measures to make sure that peace and order is maintained.

The NDRRMC said Tuesday, Dec. 21, that Typhoon Odette, which lashed Visayas and Mindanao areas on Dec. 16, has so far killed 156 people, while 37 remained missing and 275 were injured.

The Department of Public Works and Highways also reported P585.5 million worth of damage to infrastructure. (LMY / SunStar Philippines)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting